Is the Inverse Function Theorem Applicable to Complex Arcsin on C-{Pi/2+k*Pi}?

In summary, the standard definition of complex Arcsin is a map from C-{z in R : |z|>=1} to the strip {z : -Pi/2<Re(z)<Pi/2}. This definition can be extended to a map from C-{-1,1} to the "extended" strip {z : -Pi/2<Re(z)<Pi/2} U {z : Re(z)=-Pi/2, Im(z)>0} U {z : Re(z)=Pi/2, Im(z)<0}. However, for points such as z with Re(z)=Pi/2, an open neighborhood is needed for Arcsin to make sense. The Inverse Function Theorem states that
RoNN|3
It seems to me that the standard definition of the complex Arcsin (the principal branch) is something like this:
[PLAIN]http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/maptrigonometricfun/MapTrigonometricFunMod/Images/mat1017.gif

Anyways, it's defined as a map from C-{z in R : |z|>=1} to the strip {z : -Pi/2<Re(z)<Pi/2} and I suppose that it can be extended to a map from C-{-1,1} to the "extended" strip {z : -Pi/2<Re(z)<Pi/2} U {z : Re(z)=-Pi/2, Im(z)>0} U {z : Re(z)=Pi/2, Im(z)<0}. This new strip can be translated by k*Pi to give a disjoint family that covers C-{Pi/2+k*Pi}.

Here's what I want to know. Isn't it true that the Inverse Function Theorem states that Sin is locally invertible on all of C-{Pi/2+k*Pi}? For points that lie in the open strips defined above this is ok, but what if the point z is such that Re(z)=Pi/2 for example? I need an open neighborhood of such z on which Arcsin makes sense (a neighborhood that contains points in both strips).

I hope it's clear what I want to say. If not, I will make some pictures to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to have overseen the fact that Sin(z+Pi)=-Sin(z) :)

What is the definition of Complex Arcsin?

Complex Arcsin is the inverse function of the sine function, which means it can be used to find the angle whose sine is a given value. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes the output of the sine function and returns the angle that produced that output.

How is Complex Arcsin different from regular Arcsin?

Regular Arcsin only deals with real numbers, while Complex Arcsin can also handle complex numbers. This means that Complex Arcsin can return values that are not possible with regular Arcsin, such as imaginary numbers.

What is the formula for Complex Arcsin?

The formula for Complex Arcsin is as follows: arsin(z) = -i * ln(iz + √(1-z^2)), where z is a complex number and ln is the natural logarithm function.

Can Complex Arcsin be graphed?

Yes, Complex Arcsin can be graphed on a complex plane. The x-axis represents the real part of the complex number and the y-axis represents the imaginary part. The resulting graph is a complex curve.

What are the common applications of Complex Arcsin?

Complex Arcsin is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to solve equations involving sine and to find the specific angle in a complex system. It is also used in signal processing and image processing.