1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex circle

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What will be solutions of this complex circles.

2. Relevant equations

z=a+bi

3. The attempt at a solution

a)
    [tex]1 \leq Re(z) \leq 2[/tex]

[tex]1 \leq Im(z) \leq 2[/tex]

What about z?

b)
    [tex]-2 \leq Re(z) \leq 2[/tex]

[tex]-2 \leq Im(z) \leq 2[/tex]

What about z?

c) I don't know. I think |z|=[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    You are using rectangles or circles for all of them, one is a rectangle, one is an annulus and one is a disk. Let me help you with the non-rectangular ones.

An annulus centered at [tex]z_0=x_0+iy_0[/tex] with inner and outer radii [tex]r_1,r_2[/tex] should be described by [tex]r_1 \leq |z-z_0| \leq r_2[/tex]. That should help you. A disk is just an annulus with [tex]r_1=0[/tex].

4. May 13, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

remember that the equation for a circle in complex form is |z-a|=r where a is a fixed complex number in the form [itex]x_0 +iy_0[/itex] and r is the radius. You are correct that [itex]r=\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then centre of the circle is given by [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]. You should now be able to get the proper equation for the circle.

Now to deal with the shaded region. If [itex]|z-a| \geq r[/itex] then that means for the circle |z-a|=r, you would shade everything around the circle.

5. May 14, 2008 #4
    So [itex]|(x,y)-(1,1)| \geq \sqrt{2}[/itex].

But what are (x,y)?

z(x,y)

6. May 14, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You just put [itex]|z-(-1-i)| \geq \sqrt{2}[/itex]

7. May 14, 2008 #6
    1) Why (-1-i)?

2)Shouldn't it be |z-a|=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], since as we can see on the picture, it can't be neither lower nor bigger than r...

8. May 14, 2008 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Because in the form |z-a|=r, a is a fixed complex number in the form, [itex]a=x_0+iy_0[/itex] where the centre of the circle is [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]. So to write the equation correctly, you must write a in that form.
    |z-a|=r is just the circle alone with nothing shaded. Everything inside is the circle is shaded. So I think it would have to be such that [itex]|z-a| \leq r[/itex]

9. May 14, 2008 #8
    I understand. But it should be [itex]|z-a| \geq r[/itex], right? So we will shade everything inside the circle... But in this case we can't define Re(z) and Im(z), since there are some negative values for Re(z) and Im(z)

10. May 14, 2008 #9

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I think it would be [itex] \leq \sqrt{2}[/itex] since the distance from the centre to any point on the circumference is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] if it was greater than or equal to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] then you would shade where the distance from the centre to any point is greater than or equal to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

The inside of the circle is shaded. For all the points within that circle, the maximum distance is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] i.e. the point is on the circumference. Therefore for the shaded part, I think it would be [itex]|z-a| \leq r[/itex]

11. May 14, 2008 #10
    But if we say like that, what about Re(z) and Im(z), they can receive negative values if we don't define them..

12. May 14, 2008 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I guess you could restrict Re(z) and Im(z) if you wanted, but I think that leaving it in the circle form would still be correct.

13. May 14, 2008 #12
    but what about x=-1 and y=-1, you think it will be correct? I don't think so...

14. May 14, 2008 #13
    Isn't the center of the circle at 1+i?

15. May 14, 2008 #14
    It's worse than that, way long ago they agreed that the region was the complement of a disk, when the picture clearly shows otherwise!

16. May 14, 2008 #15
    David can you please tell me your opinion?

17. May 14, 2008 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know if rock.freak667 didn't understand the the question or was just giving you a hard time but the answer he gave is completely wrong.
    The last picture is the interior, together with the circle itself, of a disk with center at (1,1) and radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Every point in the figure has distance from (1,1) less than or equal to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Written as a complex number, (1, 1) is 1+ i (NOT -1-i) and the distance from z to 1+ i is |z- (1+ i)|.

18. May 14, 2008 #17

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Seems today I keep confusing my + and - signs...... but I was hoping that the general method was correct. Seems it was wrong, sorry OP.

19. May 15, 2008 #18
    Look if |z|=r
    r=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

[itex]|z|=r \leq \sqrt{2}[/itex]

out from [itex]r \leq \sqrt{2}[/itex]

and |z-a|=r

[itex]|z-a| \leq \sqrt{2} [/itex]

The interior part is [itex]r \leq \sqrt{2}[/itex]

Is this correct?

20. May 15, 2008 #19
    Yes, that looks right. So what would you have for c)?

21. May 15, 2008 #20
    z=(x,y)

a=(1,1)

[tex]|(x,y)-(1,1)| \leq \sqrt{2}[/tex]

[tex]|(x-1,y-1)| \leq \sqrt{2}[/tex]

[tex](x-1)^2+(y-1)^2 \leq 2[/tex]

But what about x and y? Should we define them? For ex. x=-1 and y=-1 is not the part that we look for...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?