Analyzing the Circulation Problem: Is There a Simpler Solution?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of Assignment 3 using Cauchy's differentiation formula. After realizing that the function f(z)=e^-z is analytic, the conversation outlines a strategy for solving the problem and finding the value of f^(n)(z_0). The correct answer is found to be 2pi/(n-1)!, which differs from the incorrect solution provided in the book's solution-appendix.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1395894_10201699046814591_1790916582_n.jpg

Assignment 3.

Homework Equations

Cauchy's differentiation formula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_integral_formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked if ##f(z) = e^{-z}## is analytic, and it is not. So it seems I have to do the circulation the hard way: parametrize z into ##z(t) = \cos(t) +i \sin(t)##

But that sounds like a bad way to do it. So you guys got any better ideas? Maybe I am missing something?

thanks for all help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is e-z not analytic?

Likes 1 person
Oh right. Now that I have rested a bit at home I see it is obviously analytic. how stupid of me.

Anyway, how do I solve it?

I guess the strategy should be something like this?

1) Apply Cauchy's differentiation formula, with ##z_0 = 0## and ##f(z_0) = e^{-z_0}##
2) Rearrange so the integral in assignment 3 is a function of ##f^{(n)} (z_0)##.
3) Find ##f^{(n)}##.

Err, how do I do step 3? Won't ##f^{(n)}## vary between being zero and 1 after inserting ##z_0 = 0##, depending on the value of n?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
Oh right. Now that I have rested a bit at home I see it is obviously analytic. how stupid of me.

Anyway, how do I solve it?

I guess the strategy should be something like this?

1) Apply Cauchy's differentiation formula, with ##z_0 = 0## and ##f(z_0) = e^{-z_0}##
2) Rearrange so the integral in assignment 3 is a function of ##f^{(n)} (z_0)##.
3) Find ##f^{(n)}##.

Err, how do I do step 3? Won't ##f^{(n)}## vary between being zero and 1 after inserting ##z_0 = 0##, depending on the value of n?

You are making this sound a lot more elaborate than it is. Just do it. Try a few examples, like n=1 and n=2 first. Sure ##f^{(n)}(0)## will depend on n. But it doesn't vary between zero and one.

Likes 1 person
Yes, you're right.

But I end up with

[tex] \frac{2 \pi}{(n-1)!} \cdot (-1)^{n-1} i [/tex]

while the correct answer is just

[tex]\frac{2 \pi}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

Nikitin said:
Yes, you're right.

But I end up with

[tex] \frac{2 \pi}{(n-1)!} \cdot (-1)^{n-1} i [/tex]

while the correct answer is just

[tex]\frac{2 \pi}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

That 'correct answer' doesn't look correct to me. I agree with your answer.

OK, thanks! :) I guess my book's solution-appendix is wrong on this assignment.

1. What is a complex circulation problem?

A complex circulation problem is a medical condition that involves issues with the flow of blood through the body. This can include blockages, abnormalities, or other factors that affect the normal circulation of blood.

2. What are some common signs and symptoms of a complex circulation problem?

Some common signs and symptoms of a complex circulation problem include chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, numbness or tingling in the extremities, and changes in skin color or temperature.

3. What are the risk factors for developing a complex circulation problem?

Risk factors for developing a complex circulation problem include smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle. Genetics and family history can also play a role.

4. How is a complex circulation problem diagnosed?

A complex circulation problem can be diagnosed through a physical exam, medical history, and various tests such as blood tests, imaging tests, and specialized procedures like angiography.

5. What are the treatment options for a complex circulation problem?

Treatment for a complex circulation problem will depend on the specific condition and severity. It may include lifestyle changes, medication, surgery, or other interventions to improve blood flow and manage symptoms.