• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Complex conjugate a function

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Hi

I have a complex function of the form
[tex]
\frac{1}{1-Ae^{i(a+b)}}
[/tex]
I want to take the complex conjugate of this: The parameters a and b are complex functions themselves, but A is real. Am I allowed to simply say
[tex]
\frac{1}{1-Ae^{-i(a^*+b^*)}}
[/tex]
where * denotes the c.c.? I seem to vaguely remember that [itex]f^*(x) = f(x^*)[/itex].

Be careful; the rule [itex]f(z^*)=f(z)^*[/itex] doesn't in general work when [itex]z[/itex] is a complex number.
Consider the following counterexample: take [itex]f(z)=i|z|[/itex], where [itex]|\cdot |[/itex] is the absolute value. Then [itex]f(z^*)=i|z^*|=i|z|=f(z)[/itex] but [itex]f(z)^*=(i|z|)^*=-i|z|=-f(z)[/itex], so we have [itex]f(z^*)\neq f(z)^*[/itex].

In general, your function [itex]f[/itex] can be very nice (the example above isn't complex-differentiable) but still fail to have this property.

For your problem, it's going to depend a lot on what your functions [itex]a,b[/itex] are.

Thanks for helping out. If a and b are just complex numbers, then it should be correct, no?

Thanks for helping out. If a and b are just complex numbers, then it should be correct, no?
Yes, if a and b are just complex numbers, then it works out like that.