Complex Conjugate of a Function

In summary, the conversation is about taking the complex conjugate of a complex function, specifically of the form \frac{1}{1-Ae^{i(a+b)}} where A is real and a and b are complex functions. There is a discussion about whether the rule f(z^*)=f(z)^* always holds, and it is mentioned that for this specific problem it depends on the functions a and b. It is agreed that if a and b are just complex numbers, then the rule holds.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I have a complex function of the form
[tex]
\frac{1}{1-Ae^{i(a+b)}}
[/tex]
I want to take the complex conjugate of this: The parameters a and b are complex functions themselves, but A is real. Am I allowed to simply say
[tex]
\frac{1}{1-Ae^{-i(a^*+b^*)}}
[/tex]
where * denotes the c.c.? I seem to vaguely remember that [itex]f^*(x) = f(x^*)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful; the rule [itex]f(z^*)=f(z)^*[/itex] doesn't in general work when [itex]z[/itex] is a complex number.
Consider the following counterexample: take [itex]f(z)=i|z|[/itex], where [itex]|\cdot |[/itex] is the absolute value. Then [itex]f(z^*)=i|z^*|=i|z|=f(z)[/itex] but [itex]f(z)^*=(i|z|)^*=-i|z|=-f(z)[/itex], so we have [itex]f(z^*)\neq f(z)^*[/itex].

In general, your function [itex]f[/itex] can be very nice (the example above isn't complex-differentiable) but still fail to have this property.

For your problem, it's going to depend a lot on what your functions [itex]a,b[/itex] are.

Thanks for helping out. If a and b are just complex numbers, then it should be correct, no?

Niles said:
Thanks for helping out. If a and b are just complex numbers, then it should be correct, no?

Yes, if a and b are just complex numbers, then it works out like that.

1. What is a complex conjugate function?

A complex conjugate function is a mathematical function that involves complex numbers. It is the function obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part of the original function. For example, if the function is f(z) = 3 + 2i, then its complex conjugate function is f*(z) = 3 - 2i.

2. What is the purpose of finding the complex conjugate of a function?

The purpose of finding the complex conjugate of a function is to simplify the expression and make it easier to manipulate. It is also useful in solving complex mathematical problems involving complex numbers.

3. How is the complex conjugate of a function represented?

The complex conjugate of a function is represented using an asterisk symbol (*) above the function's name. For example, f*(z) represents the complex conjugate of the function f(z).

4. What is the relationship between a complex number and its complex conjugate?

The relationship between a complex number and its complex conjugate is that they have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. This means that the complex number and its complex conjugate are reflections of each other on the real axis.

5. How is the complex conjugate of a function used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, the complex conjugate of a function is used to calculate the power of a complex quantity, which is important in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and signals. It is also used in optics to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves.