Complex Conjugate of f(z) = -(1-z)/(1+z)

In summary, the conversation is about finding U(x,y) and V(x,y) for a given function and using the quotient rule to find the partial derivatives Ux, Vy. The speaker is experiencing trouble with their solution, as the C-R relation should make the partial derivatives equal, but they are off by a factor of x in Vx. They are wondering if they should use polar form to solve the problem and are seeking help from others.
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

Find U(x,y) and V(x,y) for f(z) = -(1-z)/(1+z)

Find Ux, Vy, Vx, Uy (partial derivatives)

Homework Equations

z = (x+iy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found U(x,y) and V(x,y), and I used the quotient rule to find the partial derivatives Ux, Vy.

They should be equal given the C-R relation, but they are off by a factor of x in Vx. I am attaching my work, I have checked the algebra and am not seeing an error, maybe someone else has insight into my problem? Should I be using polar form to figure this out?

I've been killing myself on this one today, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-9-14 at 1.26 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-9-14 at 1.26 PM #2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
KleZMeR said:

Homework Statement

Find U(x,y) and V(x,y) for f(z) = -(1-z)/(1+z)

Find Ux, Vy, Vx, Uy (partial derivatives)

Homework Equations

z = (x+iy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found U(x,y) and V(x,y), and I used the quotient rule to find the partial derivatives Ux, Vy.

They should be equal given the C-R relation, but they are off by a factor of x in Vx. I am attaching my work, I have checked the algebra and am not seeing an error, maybe someone else has insight into my problem? Should I be using polar form to figure this out?

I've been killing myself on this one today, any help is appreciated.

Glad to look at it if it is typed out; otherwise, not.

Hi Ray, what is it that needs to be typed out? All my algebra? The solution?

KleZMeR said:
Hi Ray, what is it that needs to be typed out? All my algebra? The solution?

The details of your work.

Likes 1 person
Hi Ray, it was an algebra error. It seems most of my errors in my course homework are small algebraic errors that amount to big problems. I should work on my organization I guess. The concepts behind these topics I often understand, but when I make these errors it makes it hard to attack the real problem, getting bogged down with algebra. Thanks for responding, I'm sure I'll be posting again, and I will do my best to type out the details of my work.

What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a pair of complex numbers that have the same real parts but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of the number 3+4i is 3-4i.

Why is the complex conjugate important?

The complex conjugate is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in complex analysis and quantum mechanics. It allows us to simplify equations and perform operations such as division and finding roots of complex numbers.

How do you find the complex conjugate of a number?

To find the complex conjugate of a number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 2-5i is 2+5i.

What is the relationship between complex conjugates and the complex plane?

Complex conjugates are reflections of each other across the real axis in the complex plane. This means that the distance between a complex number and its conjugate is always twice the imaginary part.

What is the complex conjugate of a complex function?

The complex conjugate of a complex function is a new function where each coefficient and variable is replaced with its complex conjugate. This allows us to find the real part of a complex function, which can be useful in many applications.