1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Conjugate Question

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find U(x,y) and V(x,y) for f(z) = -(1-z)/(1+z)

Find Ux, Vy, Vx, Uy (partial derivatives)

2. Relevant equations

z = (x+iy)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found U(x,y) and V(x,y), and I used the quotient rule to find the partial derivatives Ux, Vy.

They should be equal given the C-R relation, but they are off by a factor of x in Vx. I am attaching my work, I have checked the algebra and am not seeing an error, maybe someone else has insight into my problem? Should I be using polar form to figure this out?

I've been killing myself on this one today, any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Glad to look at it if it is typed out; otherwise, not.

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    Hi Ray, what is it that needs to be typed out? All my algebra? The solution?

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The details of your work.

6. Sep 11, 2014 #5
    Hi Ray, it was an algebra error. It seems most of my errors in my course homework are small algebraic errors that amount to big problems. I should work on my organization I guess. The concepts behind these topics I often understand, but when I make these errors it makes it hard to attack the real problem, getting bogged down with algebra. Thanks for responding, I'm sure I'll be posting again, and I will do my best to type out the details of my work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted