Complex Conjugates: I'm Not Sure Why V^2?

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the statement shows that the product of a complex number and its conjugate is equal to the square of its modulus. This is because the conjugate is simply the complex number with the imaginary part negated, making the product equal to the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. This can also be shown using the Pythagorean theorem in the complex plane.
jeff1evesque
Statement:
[tex]VV* = (V_r + jV_i)(V_r - jV_i) = V_{r}^{2} + V_{i}^{2} = |V|^{2}[/tex]Question:
I am not sure why the second equality isn't written as, [tex]V_{r}^{2} + V_{i}^{2} = V^{2}?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well no. Let's try V = a + ib and square it to see what happens.

V^2 = VV = (a + ib)(a + ib) = a^2 + aib + iba + (ib)^2 = a^2 + 2iab - b^2

Notice the extra 2iab term.

The modulus of a complex number is the length of the "vector" in the 2-d complex plane. Such vectors have x-component equal to the real part and y-component equal to the imaginary part. So, according to the Pythagorean theorem, they have modulus sqrt(a^2 + b^2). Squaring this gives the desired a^2 + b^2.

The second equality is written as V_{r}^{2} + V_{i}^{2} = |V|^{2} because V^{2} is not the same as |V|^{2}. V^{2} refers to the square of a single complex number, while |V|^{2} represents the magnitude squared of a complex number. In other words, |V|^{2} takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the complex number, while V^{2} only considers the magnitude. Therefore, it is important to use |V|^{2} in the context of complex conjugates, as it accurately represents the relationship between the real and imaginary components of the complex number.

1. What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are a pair of complex numbers where the real parts are the same, but the imaginary parts have opposite signs.

2. How do you find the complex conjugate of a number?

To find the complex conjugate of a number, you simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i would be 3-4i.

3. What is the significance of complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are important in solving equations involving complex numbers, and they are also used in the study of waves and oscillations.

4. Can complex conjugates be used in calculations?

Yes, complex conjugates can be used in calculations involving complex numbers. They are particularly useful in simplifying expressions and solving equations.

5. What is the relationship between complex conjugates and the squared magnitude of a complex number?

The squared magnitude of a complex number is equal to the product of the complex number and its complex conjugate. In other words, |z|^2 = z * z*, where z* is the complex conjugate of z.