1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex Contour Integral

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1

kreil

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the following line integrals from point z'=(0,-1) to z"=(0,1) along three different contours, [itex]C_j=(0,1,2)[/itex].

[tex]\int_{C_j}|z|dz[/tex]

where [itex]C_0[/itex] is the straight line along the y-axis, [itex]C_1[/itex] is the right semi-circular contour of radius 1, and [itex]C_2[/itex] is the left semi-circular contour of radius 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) Along [itex]C_0[/itex], [tex]z=iy \implies dz = idy[/tex] and the integral is

[tex]\int_{C_0}|z|dz=i^2 \int_{-1}^1ydy=-\frac{y^2}{2}|_{-1}^1=-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}=0[/tex]

(ii) Along [itex]C_1[/itex], [itex]z=re^{i \theta} \implies dz = ire^{i \theta}d \theta[/tex] with [itex]\theta:\frac{3 \pi}{2} \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. Note that r=1.

So, [tex]\int_{C_1}|z|dz = ir^2\int_{\frac{3 \pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}e^{2i \theta}d \theta=\frac{1}{2}e^{2 i \theta}|_{\frac{3 \pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}=\frac{1}{2} ( e^{i \pi}-e^{3i \pi})=0[/tex]

(iii) Along [itex]C_2[/itex], [tex]z=re^{i \theta} \implies dz = ire^{i \theta}d \theta[/tex] with [itex]\theta:-\frac{\pi}{2} \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

The integral is similar to (ii), and one obtains:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} ( e^{i \pi}-e^{-i \pi})=0[/tex]

Did I do these integrals correctly (correct limits in ii and iii)? If so then geometrically, why are these integrals equal to zero?

Thanks for your comments.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    For (ii) and (iii), don't forget that you are integrating |z|, not z.

The point of the problem is to show you that the path integral does depend on the path you choose. You will see later that the value of a path integral is independent of the path if a function is holomorphic. That is because holomorphic functions have antiderivatives. It's the same theorem as in multivariable calculus, when you learned that the value of a path integral over a vector field depends only on the start and end points if the vector field is the gradient of a function.

In this example, the value of the integrals does depend on the path because |z| is not holomorphic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. Feb 6, 2010 #3

kreil

Gold Member

oops forgot i was integrating |z|..i fixed (ii) quickly and got an answer of 2i, is that correct?

[tex]
    \int_{C_1}|z|dz = ir^2\int_{\frac{3 \pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}e^{i \theta}d \theta=i [sin(\theta)-icos(\theta)]|_{\frac{3 \pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}=2i
    [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook