Evaluating Complex Contour Integrals: (z+2)/z on the Top Half of a Circle

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating integrals for specific paths and the use of parameterization and polar coordinates. The expert suggests parametrizing as z=2e^(it) and using an integral dt for the given path. They also mention an approach using polar coordinates, but ultimately suggest using an integral dt for the given path.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Folks,

How do I evaluate the integral of (z+2)/z dz for the path C= the top half of the circle |z|=2 from z=2 to z=-2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I take ##z=x+iy## and ##dz=dx+idy##

Therefore ##\int_c f(z)=\int_c (1+(2/(x+iy))(dx+idy)##...not sure if I'm going the right direction

Or do I parameterise z as ##z(t)=e^{it}##..?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Parametrize as z=2e^(it). What is dz?

Dick said:
Parametrize as z=2e^(it). What is dz?

Thank you, sorted.

Stuck on this one. ##\int_c (x^2+ixy) dz## where C is given by ##z(t)=t^2+t^3i## for ##0\le t\le1##

I thought of converting z to polar coordinates where ##z=r\cos \theta + ir \sin \theta## ad ##x=r\cos \theta## so we have

##\int_c x(x+iy)dz=\int r\cos\theta(r \cos \theta+i r\sin \theta)(-r\sin \theta d\theta+i r \cos \theta d \theta)##...the limits not sure how to approach, perhaps approach is wrong..?

bugatti79 said:
Thank you, sorted.

Stuck on this one. ##\int_c (x^2+ixy) dz## where C is given by ##z(t)=t^2+t^3i## for ##0\le t\le1##

I thought of converting z to polar coordinates where ##z=r\cos \theta + ir \sin \theta## ad ##x=r\cos \theta## so we have

##\int_c x(x+iy)dz=\int r\cos\theta(r \cos \theta+i r\sin \theta)(-r\sin \theta d\theta+i r \cos \theta d \theta)##...the limits not sure how to approach, perhaps approach is wrong..?

I don't think polar coordinates are any help. Just write it as an integral dt.

Dick said:
I don't think polar coordinates are any help. Just write it as an integral dt.

But how do I handle the x outside the bracket when we let z=(x+iy) inside the brackets?

bugatti79 said:
But how do I handle the x outside the bracket when we let z=(x+iy) inside the brackets?

If z=t^2+it^3 then x=t^2 and y=t^3, right?

Dick said:
If z=t^2+it^3 then x=t^2 and y=t^3, right?

should have spotted that. thanks

1. What is a complex contour integral?

A complex contour integral is a type of integral that is performed on a complex function along a specific path in the complex plane. It is a generalization of the familiar line integral, which is performed on real-valued functions along a curve in the real plane.

2. How is a complex contour integral calculated?

A complex contour integral is calculated by breaking the path of integration into small segments and approximating the value of the integral along each segment. This is done using techniques such as the Cauchy integral theorem and the Cauchy integral formula.

3. What is the significance of a complex contour integral?

Complex contour integrals are important in mathematics and physics, particularly in the fields of complex analysis and electromagnetism. They are used to calculate the values of complex functions, evaluate path integrals, and solve differential equations.

4. Can a complex contour integral be evaluated using numerical methods?

Yes, complex contour integrals can be evaluated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. However, these methods may not always provide accurate results and may require a large number of steps to achieve a desired level of precision.

5. What are some applications of complex contour integrals?

Complex contour integrals have numerous applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of analytic functions, the calculation of residues and poles, and in the solution of Laplace's equation. They are also used in the field of electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields around complex objects.