1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex cosh

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    express cosh(z) in terms of functions with real variable only, hence find all complex zeroes and mark on argand diagram.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did cosh(z)=cosh(x+iy) then got down to cosh(z)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)... can anyone confirm this plz? also i got told, that cosh(z)=0, when z=pi*k*i+pi*i/2....when k is a interger... I have no idea, how my friend got this, of if its even correct, or what i have done is correct either..... but i would appreciate any help, especially with drawing the zeroes on the argand diagram, becasue with the answer i have, there is only 2 per 2pi

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what you have can't be right because cosh(z) is NOT a real number for all complex z, but cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y) is real for all real x and y.

[tex]cosh(x+iy)= \frac{e^{x+iy}+ e^{-x-iy}}{2}= \frac{e^xe^{iy}+ e^{-x}e^{-iy}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{e^xe^{iy}+ e^xe^{-iy}- e^xe^{-iy}+ e^{-x}e^{-iy}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]= e^x\frac{e^{iy}+ e^{-iy}}{2}- e^{iy}\frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]= e^x cos(y)- cosh(x)e^{-iy}[/tex]

Of course, [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] so [itex]e^{-iy}= cos(y)- i sin(y)[/itex].

That is, cosh(z)= e^xcos(y)- cosh(x)(cos(y)- i sin(y))= [e^x- cosh(x)]cos(y)- cosh(x)cos(y)]- i cosh(x)sin(y).

since [itex]cosh(x)= (e^x+ e^{-x})/2[/itex],
    [tex]e^x- cosh(x)= e^x- (e^x+e^{-x})/2= (e^x- e^{-x})/2= sinh(x)[/tex]

[tex]cosh(z)= sinh(x)cos(y)- i cosh(x)sin(y)[/tex]

That will be 0 when sinh(x)cos(y)= 0 and cosh(x)sin(y)= 0.

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    ahh i see what i did wrong... i forgot about the ix, and converted the wrong terms... ok.. so buy solving those 2 equations for zero, give x=0 and y=(2k+1)pi/2 and second eq gives, y=k*pi, and x=(2k+1)i*pi/2 where k is a integer. is that right... but how do i put that on an argand diagram?

5. Mar 14, 2010 #4
    so cosh(z)=0, when z=(2k+1)i*pi/2.... coz that would mean cos((2k+1)pi/2)... which give zero for all half pi's? so is my diagram just a point at iy=I*pi.2 and -I*pi/2.. for the principal values? or is there special way of drawing it?

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5
    please can anyone help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook