Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike)

In summary, the conversation discusses a light source consisting of two parallel wires emitting light thermally. A filter is placed in front of the wires to only allow a narrow spectral range to reach a screen at a distance. The first part of the conversation involves obtaining an expression for the complex degree of coherence using the van Cittert-Zernike theorem. The second part discusses the intensity observed on the screen, which may vary in a cosine fashion due to interference from the two wire thermal sources. However, the presence of the filter limiting the spectral range may affect this intensity pattern.
Cameron T

Homework Statement

A light source consists of two long thin parallel wires, separated by a distance, W. A current is passed through the wires so that they emit light thermally. A filter is placed in front of the wires to only allow a narrow spectral range, centred at λ to propagate to a screen, a distance l from the wires. i) Obtain an expression for the complex degree of coherence using the van Cittert-Zernike theorem. ii) Describe what would be observed on this screen.

Homework Equations

Cittert-Zernike theorem: Complex degree of coherence γ is given by the normalised Fourier transform of the source intensity function.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Ok so the first part is straight forward enough, treating the source intensity as a double delta function, the normalised Fourier transform of which is just a cosine function, specifically: γ=cos πWΔxλl , where Δx is the separation between two points in the horizontal axis of the observation screen. Note that I'm ignoring the vertical axis at this stage. It's the intensity seen on the screen that's confusing me. With just the double delta source directly onto a screen, I would be tempted to say the intensity distribution on the screen simply varies in a cosine fashion, as the two wire thermal sources (which are cylindrical wave sources?) interfere according to the coherence function. I feel like I might be missing something however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the filter only allows a narrow range of spectral frequencies to propagate, would this affect the intensity pattern observed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the Cittert-Zernike theorem?

The Cittert-Zernike theorem is a fundamental principle in optical coherence theory that describes the degree of coherence of an optical field. It states that the degree of coherence is related to the spatial coherence of the source and the distance between two points in the observation plane.

2. How is the degree of coherence calculated using the Cittert-Zernike theorem?

The degree of coherence is calculated using the autocorrelation function of the source and the distance between two points in the observation plane. This can be expressed as a ratio of the spatial coherence of the source and the distance between the two points.

3. What is the significance of the Cittert-Zernike theorem in optics?

The Cittert-Zernike theorem is important in optics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the coherence properties of light. It is used in various applications such as interferometry, holography, and imaging techniques.

4. What is the difference between temporal and spatial coherence?

Temporal coherence refers to the correlation between the electric fields of a source at different times, while spatial coherence refers to the correlation between the electric fields at different points in space. The Cittert-Zernike theorem relates these two types of coherence and describes the degree of coherence in terms of both temporal and spatial coherence.

5. How does the Cittert-Zernike theorem relate to the Young's double-slit experiment?

The Cittert-Zernike theorem can be applied to the Young's double-slit experiment to calculate the interference pattern produced by a source with a finite spatial coherence. It explains how the degree of coherence affects the visibility of the interference fringes in the pattern.