1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Derivative

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    The question is as follows.

Let w = 1/z. Check that for [itex]z \neq 0[/itex] the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied and verify that[itex]dw/dz = -1/z^2[/itex]
    -------------

So I let z = x + iy

Then, [tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x + iy} = \frac{1}{x + iy}\frac{x - iy}{x - iy} = \frac{x - iy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

let w = u + iv
    so [tex]u = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]v = \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{-x^2 + y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ - \partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)^2 } = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

I really don't want to write everything out, but the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied, and thus we can find [tex]dw/dz = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

My problem is right here when I am trying to manipulate this [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} [/tex] to get [tex] \frac{1}{z^2} = \frac{1}{(x + iy)^2} = \frac{1}{x^2 + i2xy - y^2}[/tex]

Is there some trick I am missing or did I take the partial derivatives wrong? I just seem to be stuck here with no ideas. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're gonna say "duh!". The first thing you found is that

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{x - iy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

remember? Square that, and you get exactly

[tex] -\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} [/tex]

4. Sep 2, 2006 #3
    :rofl: Duh!

Thank you!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?