Complex Derivatives: Will Result Always be Holomorphic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the derivative of a holomorphic function will always result in a holomorphic function. The participants mention the Cauchy integral formula and the definition of holomorphic functions. They also consider the theorem that states that if a function is holomorphic and continuously differentiable in an open area, then its complex derivative is also holomorphic. The conversation concludes with an invitation to provide a proof or a counterexample.
Andz001
I'm solving complex derivatives of holomorphic functions, my question is if I take the derivative of a holomorphic function will the result always be holomorphic too?

The examples I made always have a holomorphic result but I'm trying to find a counter example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

How long have you been studying complex analysis? There is actually a major theorem on this subject whose content you can find on Wikipedia. A key part of the argument is the Cauchy integral formula, so you'll need some background in complex analysis to read the article.

Thanks for being the first person to help me :)
My experience with complex analysis is limited, but I know the general theorems.
So if f'(z)=[itex]\partial[/itex]x f(z) and f'(z)= -i[itex]\partial[/itex]y f(z). Then [itex]\partial[/itex]x f(z) + i[itex]\partial[/itex]y f(z) = 0. So the derivative of z which is holomorphic will always result in a holomporphic function. Is this correct?

Hm, I didn't understand your reply. Does [itex] \partial_x[/itex] mean [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex]? It looks like you're doing something like the proof of the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Could you state your homework problem as it appears? Are you really to show that the derivative of a holomorphic function is holomorphic or to provide a counterexample?

The actual question is: If f(z) is holomorphic and continuously differentiable in an open area [itex]\Omega[/itex], then it's complex derivative f'(z) is holomorphic. True or False?

In my previous attempt ∂x means ∂/∂x.

Have you looked at the definition of "holomorphic"? A function is holomorphic (on a set) if and only if it is analytic for all x in that set. When a set is not specified it is typically taken to be all complex numbers.

And, of course, one definition of "analytic" at a point is that its Taylor series exist at that point and converge to the value of the function in some neighborhood of the point. If a function is "holomorphic", it follows that its Taylor series exists and converge to the value of the function for all complex numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
Have you looked at the definition of "holomorphic"? A function is holomorphic (on a set) if and only if it is analytic for all x in that set.

I disagree. That is not the definition of holomorphic, but rather an important theorem in complex analysis. This is the definition that I'm familiar with: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/Holomorphic.html .

Are you supposed to provide a proof, Andz? If not, HallsofIvy's post contains the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are complex derivatives?

Complex derivatives are mathematical tools used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to a complex variable. They are analogous to real-valued derivatives, but take into account the complex nature of the variable.

2. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that it has a well-defined complex derivative at every point in its domain.

3. Are all complex derivatives holomorphic?

No, not all complex derivatives are holomorphic. A complex derivative will result in a holomorphic function only if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which define the conditions for a function to be differentiable at a point in the complex plane.

4. Can a complex derivative result in a non-holomorphic function?

Yes, a complex derivative can result in a non-holomorphic function if the Cauchy-Riemann equations are not satisfied. In this case, the function may still be differentiable at certain points, but not at others.

5. Why is it important to determine if a complex derivative will result in a holomorphic function?

Determining if a complex derivative will result in a holomorphic function is important because holomorphic functions have many useful properties, such as being analytic (meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series) and preserving angle and magnitude under differentiation. These properties make them valuable in many areas of mathematics and physics.