1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex derivative

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    I'm solving complex derivatives of holomorphic functions, my question is if I take the derivative of a holomorphic function will the result always be holomorphic too?

The examples I made always have a holomorphic result but I'm trying to find a counter example.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    Welcome to PF!

How long have you been studying complex analysis? There is actually a major theorem on this subject whose content you can find on Wikipedia. A key part of the argument is the Cauchy integral formula, so you'll need some background in complex analysis to read the article.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Thanks for being the first person to help me :)
    My experience with complex analysis is limited, but I know the general theorems.
    So if f'(z)=[itex]\partial[/itex]x f(z) and f'(z)= -i[itex]\partial[/itex]y f(z). Then [itex]\partial[/itex]x f(z) + i[itex]\partial[/itex]y f(z) = 0. So the derivative of z which is holomorphic will always result in a holomporphic function. Is this correct?

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    Hm, I didn't understand your reply. Does [itex] \partial_x[/itex] mean [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex]? It looks like you're doing something like the proof of the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Could you state your homework problem as it appears? Are you really to show that the derivative of a holomorphic function is holomorphic or to provide a counterexample?

6. Aug 22, 2011 #5
    The actual question is: If f(z) is holomorphic and continuously differentiable in an open area [itex]\Omega[/itex], then it's complex derivative f'(z) is holomorphic. True or False?

In my previous attempt ∂x means ∂/∂x.

7. Aug 22, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you looked at the definition of "holomorphic"? A function is holomorphic (on a set) if and only if it is analytic for all x in that set. When a set is not specified it is typically taken to be all complex numbers.

And, of course, one definition of "analytic" at a point is that its Taylor series exist at that point and converge to the value of the function in some neighborhood of the point. If a function is "holomorphic", it follows that its Taylor series exists and converge to the value of the function for all complex numbers.

8. Aug 22, 2011 #7
    I disagree. That is not the definition of holomorphic, but rather an important theorem in complex analysis. This is the definition that I'm familiar with: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/Holomorphic.html [Broken].

Are you supposed to provide a proof, Andz? If not, HallsofIvy's post contains the answer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook