Solve ODE w/ Variation of Coefficient Technique: Complex Derivatives

In summary, when dealing with complex numbers, the derivative of e^ix and e^-ix are i*e^ix and -i*e^-ix, respectively. The Cauchy-Riemann equation holds in this case as well. When dealing with e^z, where z is a complex number, it is important to be more careful. Overall, the derivative of e^ax is ae^ax, which can be derived using the chain rule. A good reference for this topic is the Schaum's outline series for ODE.
Logik
I have to solve an ODE with variation of coefficient technique. It's pretty easy but I have no clue what is the first and second derivative of e^ix and e^-ix.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If i had been a real number, what would the first and second derivatives have been then?

e^ix
first
i*e^ix
second
i^2*e^ix

e^-ix
first
-i*e^-ix
second
i^2*e^-ix

p.s. I've read about the Cauchy-Riemann equation but just not sure how to apply it... should I split the exponential in a sin and a cos?
p.s.s. There are probably rules, like exponential function are always derivable or something but I'm not fallowing any complex variables class right now so any insight is appreciated...

Last edited:
Logik said:
e^ix
first
i*e^ix
second
i^2*e^ix

e^-ix
first
-i*e^-ix
second
i^2*e^-ix

EXACTLY!
And that is precisely what holds when "i" is a complex/imaginary number as well! :smile:

Likes CivilSigma
When dealing with these things, forget i is anything, just remember its a constant. Then after the actual differentiation, you can remember what it is.

Yeah. If

[tex]\exp(ix),\,\,\,x\in \mathbb{R},[/tex]

(which is what it looks like you have) then it's what the above two said. But if you have

[tex]\exp(iz),\,\,\,z\in \mathbb{Z},[/tex]

you need to be more careful. Let us know if that is indeed what you have.

what are you doing in a de course ifm you do not know the derivative of e^z?

I'm doing the same derivative problem & i was wondering if you could give any tips on how to solve the derivative of e^ix? I would really appreciate it. A good reference website, anything assistance at all.

bgbaby said:
I'm doing the same derivative problem & i was wondering if you could give any tips on how to solve the derivative of e^ix? I would really appreciate it. A good reference website, anything assistance at all.
That is exactly what has been answered in each of these responses. For any constant, a, the derivative of [itex]e^{ax}[/itex] is [itex]ae^{ax}[/itex].

That is a result of the very basic fact that the derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex] is [itex]e^x[/itex] (world's easiest derivative!) and the chain rule.

bgbaby said:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{jx})=je^{jx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(e^{jx})=-e^{jx}[/tex]

Actually I myself was once in an ode course when I had forgot the derivative of e^x. My solution was to go get a Schaum's outline series of ode and do a lot of problems and review my $$$ off.

1. What is the Variation of Coefficient Technique for solving ODEs?

The Variation of Coefficient Technique is a method used to solve Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) with complex derivatives. It involves rewriting the ODE as a product of a linear operator and a complex-valued function, and then using the properties of complex numbers to solve the resulting equation.

2. When is the Variation of Coefficient Technique useful for solving ODEs?

The Variation of Coefficient Technique is particularly useful for solving ODEs with complex derivatives, as it allows for the use of complex numbers and their properties to simplify the equations and find solutions. It can also be used for higher order ODEs, as it reduces them to first order equations.

3. How do you apply the Variation of Coefficient Technique to solve an ODE?

To apply the Variation of Coefficient Technique, the ODE is first rewritten in the form of a linear operator acting on a complex-valued function. The operator is then factored into its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and the solution is expressed in terms of these eigenvectors and a time-dependent complex coefficient.

4. What are the advantages of using the Variation of Coefficient Technique for solving ODEs?

The Variation of Coefficient Technique allows for the use of complex numbers, which can simplify the equations and provide more elegant solutions. It also reduces higher order ODEs to first order equations, making them easier to solve. Additionally, it can be used to solve both homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Variation of Coefficient Technique for solving ODEs?

The Variation of Coefficient Technique may not always be the most efficient method for solving ODEs, as it can be more complex and time-consuming than other techniques. It also requires a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties. It may not be suitable for all types of ODEs, as some equations may not easily fit into the required form for this technique.