1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex Deriviative

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    Find all points where the function has a derivative. At which of these points the function is analytical.

[tex]

f(z) = \left\{
    \begin{array}{ll}
    {z^2}sin(\frac{1}{|z^2|}) & z \neq 0 \\
    0 & z = 0}
    \end{array}
    \right.

[/tex]

I have tried deriving directly using the limit and also tried using Cauchy-Riemann, both tries led to complicated formulas.

For example Cauchy-Riemann approach:
    [tex]
    f(a+ib) = \underbrace{ (a^2-b^2)sin(1/\sqrt{a^2+b^2})}_{u} +
    i\underbrace{{2ab}\cdot{sin(1/\sqrt{a^2+b^2})}}_{v}
    [/tex]
    Now I need to calculate dv/da ,du/da ,dv/db,du/db, but this seems like a headache.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2
    Why do you have square roots over the a^2 + b^2 expressions? Isn't there a |z^2| = |z|^2 = a^2 + b^2 term in the original function?

Also taking partial derivatives is easy. Just check the Cauchy-Riemann equations for z = a + ib =/= 0. At the origin, you'll probably have to resort to the definition anyways. You might already know the answer at least for the origin since there is a real-valued function that is similarly defined and often used as a counterexample.

4. Aug 14, 2010 #3
    Yes, my mistake, it should be a^2+b^2 without the root.
    But, still it does not make finding partial derivatives simple. For example, here is du/da calculated by WolframAlpha:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=27559&stc=1&d=1281804936.png

Can you explain the real-valued function method? How do you use it as a counter example?

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook