How to Determine Complex Differentiability and Holomorphicity of a Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total differential of a map from R^2 to R^2, as well as the determination of points at which the function is complex differentiable and whether it is holomorphic anywhere. The use of the Jacobian and the Cauchy-Riemann equations are mentioned in the attempt at solving the problem, and it is concluded that the function is differentiable on a line, but not on any open sets, therefore it is not holomorphic anywhere.
cummings12332

Homework Statement

f(z)=z(bar(z))^2+2(bar(z))z^2 ,then calculate the total differential of f viewed as a map from R^2->R^2 . determine the points at which f is complex differentiable , is f holomorhpic anywhere?

2. The attempt at a solution
i did the first part and for secund part i use the Jocobian ,for if it is differentiable then if follow the cachy rieman equations which is 9x^2+3y^2=x^2+3y^2, and 6xy=-2xy the solution for the equation systems is x=o y is real , so it can be differentiable at (o,y) y is real number ,does it right? if it is ,then How should i found holomorphic anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
cummings12332 said:

Homework Statement

f(z)=z(bar(z))^2+2(bar(z))z^2 ,then calculate the total differential of f viewed as a map from R^2->R^2 . determine the points at which f is complex differentiable , is f holomorhpic anywhere?

2. The attempt at a solution
i did the first part and for secund part i use the Jocobian ,for if it is differentiable then if follow the cachy rieman equations which is 9x^2+3y^2=x^2+3y^2, and 6xy=-2xy the solution for the equation systems is x=o y is real , so it can be differentiable at (o,y) y is real number ,does it right? if it is ,then How should i found holomorphic anywhere?

That looks ok for differentiable. What's the definition of 'holomorphic'?

Dick said:
That looks ok for differentiable. What's the definition of 'holomorphic'?

f:k->C is holomorphic if f is complex differentiable at all point of the region K
For the quesiton, for x=o so z=iy then the point can be differentiable is the line of imaginary axis ,for it is a line we cannnot define holomorphic here, then that's nowhere for f to be holomophic

is my argument right??

cummings12332 said:
f:k->C is holomorphic if f is complex differentiable at all point of the region K
For the quesiton, for x=o so z=iy then the point can be differentiable is the line of imaginary axis ,for it is a line we cannnot define holomorphic here, then that's nowhere for f to be holomophic

is my argument right??

It's not very well worded. Sure, it's differentiable on a line. You'll want to explain why a 'line' isn't a 'region'. What property does a region have that a line doesn't?

Dick said:
It's not very well worded. Sure, it's differentiable on a line. You'll want to explain why a 'line' isn't a 'region'. What property does a region have that a line doesn't?

if i choose a point inside the region,then choose the very close small region around that point, in the point inside the small region should be diff. what i mean is the region should be open ,but the line we cannot find here, i didnt explain it in my post sorry

cummings12332 said:
if i choose a point inside the region,then choose the very close small region around that point, in the point inside the small region should be diff. what i mean is the region should be open ,but the line we cannot find here, i didnt explain it in my post sorry

Right. There's no point on the line that has a neighborhood of the point that's contained in the line. The line doesn't contain any open sets. It has empty interior.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex differentiable function?

A complex differentiable function is a function that is defined on a subset of the complex numbers and has a derivative at every point in that subset.

2. How is complex differentiability different from real differentiability?

Complex differentiability is different from real differentiability because in the complex plane, we have two directions in which a limit can approach a point. This means that a function can have a complex derivative even if it is not real differentiable.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a necessary condition for a function to be complex differentiable. It states that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of a complex function must satisfy a specific relationship at every point in the domain.

4. Can a function be complex differentiable at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be complex differentiable at some points and not others. For a function to be complex differentiable, it must have a derivative at every point in the domain. If a function does not have a derivative at a particular point, it is not complex differentiable at that point.

5. How is complex differentiability related to analyticity?

A function that is complex differentiable at every point in its domain is called analytic. This means that it can be represented by a convergent power series. However, not all analytic functions are complex differentiable at every point, as they may have singularities where the function is not defined.