1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex differentiable

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(z)=z(bar(z))^2+2(bar(z))z^2 ,then calculate the total differential of f viewed as a map from R^2->R^2 . determine the points at which f is complex differentiable , is f holomorhpic anywhere????

2. The attempt at a solution
    i did the first part and for secund part i use the Jocobian ,for if it is differentiable then if follow the cachy rieman equations which is 9x^2+3y^2=x^2+3y^2, and 6xy=-2xy the solution for the equation systems is x=o y is real , so it can be differentiable at (o,y) y is real number ,does it right??? if it is ,then How should i found holomorphic anywhere???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks ok for differentiable. What's the definition of 'holomorphic'?

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    f:k->C is holomorphic if f is complex differentiable at all point of the region K
    For the quesiton, for x=o so z=iy then the point can be differentiable is the line of imaginary axis ,for it is a line we cannnot define holomorphic here, then thats nowhere for f to be holomophic

is my argument right??

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not very well worded. Sure, it's differentiable on a line. You'll want to explain why a 'line' isn't a 'region'. What property does a region have that a line doesn't?

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    if i choose a point inside the region,then choose the very close small region around that point, in the point inside the small region should be diff. what i mean is the region should be open ,but the line we cannot find here, i didnt explain it in my post sorry

7. Nov 29, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. There's no point on the line that has a neighborhood of the point that's contained in the line. The line doesn't contain any open sets. It has empty interior.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook