What Gives the Complex Plane its Unique Property in Complex Differentiation?

In summary, the argument explains that the derivative of a complex function is differentiable if and only if the limit exists in the complex plane.
Prologue
I saw the argument for complex differentiation today and I had a question about a 'well known' aspect of the argument. My professor said something like this (at least a version of it): Derivatives on complex variables are defined in the usual way. However, in the complex plane, delta(z) may approach zero from any direction.

Why?

For the complex derivative to exist, the limiting value must be independent of the direction the derivative is taken in the complex plane.

Why?

Ok, ok. I think that if the first 'Why?' is answered then the second one will be answered too. So what is the deal, what gives the complex plane this property? I suspect this may be anwered by another question, what is the interpretation of the derivative of a complex function?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions but I am completely baffled on this, thanks!

Here is a link to an argument for the differentiation. http://phyastweb.la.asu.edu/phy501-shumway/2001/notes/lec29.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Prologue said:
Derivatives on complex variables are defined in the usual way. However, in the complex plane, delta(z) may approach zero from any direction.
The same is true when you're working only with real numbers. The only difference is that there are more 'directions' in the complex plane than in the real numbers.

You're taking the limit as [itex]\Delta z[/itex] approaches zero. If you really wanted the limit as [itex]\Delta z[/itex] approached zero along some explicit curve, then you would have said that instead.

And when you get to multivariable calclus, you'll see the same thing in that setting too.

Have you considered appealing to definitions? You remember epsilon-delta arguments, and all that stuff, right?

Well, that's the definition of "limit" isn't it?

Saying that "[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex]" means "Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]||x- a||< \delta[/itex], then [itex]||f(x)- L||< \epsilon[/itex].

There, I intentionally use "|| ||" rather than "| |" to emphasize that I am not assuming real numbers here. "|| ||" is "norm" is some vector space. The point is that says if x and a are "close", then f(x) and L must be "close" for whatever definition of "close" we are using. In particular it says nothing about x being in a particular direction from a: We can "approach" a from whatever direction we choose but as soon as we are within distanc [itex]\delta[/itex] from a, f(x) must be within [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of L. If the limit exists, then we must get the same result no matter what path we take to reach a. Since that is true of a limit, and the derivative is defined in terms of a limit, it is true of the derivative.

You may be thinking of the "partial derivatives" of a function where we "approach" the point only parallel to the x and y axes and, typically, get different results.

Let me emphasize that the partial derivatives are NOT "the" derivative. And, in fact, it is possible for a function to have partial derivaties at a point where the function is NOT differentiable!

I understand the limit of a function stuff, but it seems to change when you start throwing around derivatives (partial?), and isn't that simple anymore, at least to me. The argument that goes into the complex function is x + iy, and we just call it z, so z depends on x and y.

[tex]z=x+iy; W(z)=W(x+iy)[/tex]

[tex]dz = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial z}{\partial iy}d(iy)[/tex]

If

[tex] dz = d \sqrt{||z||} = d \sqrt{z*z}[/tex]

then I can understand why it is direction independent, but then I wouldn't understand why it is only the magnitude.

HallsofIvy said:

You may be thinking of the "partial derivatives" of a function where we "approach" the point only parallel to the x and y axes and, typically, get different results.

Let me emphasize that the partial derivatives are NOT "the" derivative. And, in fact, it is possible for a function to have partial derivaties at a point where the function is NOT differentiable!

This is exactly what I am thinking of. Could you expand on how partial derivatives are not 'the derivative'?

It is very confusing to be able to have partial derivatives that can be different in a real plane, but when we jump to the complex plane they have to be the same?

I am obviously missing some distinction here.

Last edited:
The partials aren't "the derivative" by definition. The derivative of a function f:R^n-R^m is by definition a linear map going from R^n to R^m that satisfies certain properties; if it exists it's given by the Jacobian matrix. The buzzwords you should google for are "Jacobian matrix" and, maybe, "Frechet derivative."

When you think of a complex function f:C->C as a function mapping R^2 to R^2 you need to keep in mind that there is some substantial extra structure available to us here - namely, complex division. In R^2 we could not divide vectors - this is the main reason differentiation is kind of flaky in higher real dimensions. But in C, we can divide complex numbers, and so we can define the complex derivative of f in a manner analogous to how we did it for R.

No one has said that partial derivatives have to be the same in the complex plane. I specifically said we are talking about the derivative, NOT the partial derivatives.

I'm don't see how I can explain why partial derivatives are not "the" derivative without know what YOU know about derivatives in two dimensions. Every textbook I have ever seen makes the point clearly. Most, without going into the details, at least say that a function of two variables is "differentiable at a point" if and only the graph of z= f(x,y) has a tangent plane at that point. In particular, The function defined by "f(x,y)= 1 if xy is not 0, 0 if xy= 0" has both partial derivatives at (0,0) but is not even continuous there so cannot be differentiable.

If a function is differentiable at a point, we can think of the gradient of f at that point as representing the derivative at that point.

Ok, I think I am catching on to what you are saying HallsofIvy.

For instance, if we think of a complex function w(z) as being represented in one real dimension, 1 imaginary dimension, and one complex dimension (w(z)) then we would have a surface in real/complex 3d.

If that is the case then I have the picture and I can see what you are saying. If you represent 'the derivative' as a tangent plane at a point on the surface, then 'the derivative' would be the same coming from all directions.

So, is my visualization correct?

The reason I am bringing up what I am calling the partials in the complex plane (perhaps wrongly) is as a result of having the Cauchy Riemann conditions for an analytic function thrown in there.

Edit: Let me tack on that yesterday was the first time I saw any of this so please bear with me.

Last edited:

1. What is complex differentiation?

Complex differentiation is a mathematical concept used in the field of complex analysis, which deals with functions of complex variables. It is the process of determining the derivative of a complex-valued function, which is a measure of how the function changes with respect to its input. This is similar to the concept of differentiation in single-variable calculus, but with complex numbers and variables instead of real numbers and variables.

2. How is complex differentiation different from real differentiation?

Complex differentiation differs from real differentiation in several ways. One major difference is that complex derivatives can be taken in different directions, unlike real derivatives which are always taken in the direction of the input variable. Additionally, complex derivatives can have complex values, while real derivatives only have real values. This makes complex differentiation a more complex and nuanced process than real differentiation.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation and how is it related to complex differentiation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a fundamental equation in complex analysis that relates the real and imaginary parts of a complex function to its derivative. It states that if a complex function is differentiable at a point, then its derivative must satisfy a set of conditions known as the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These conditions ensure that the derivative exists and is unique, making them essential for complex differentiation.

4. Can all complex functions be differentiated?

No, not all complex functions can be differentiated. A function is said to be complex differentiable if it has a derivative at every point in its domain. However, there are some functions that are not complex differentiable, such as those that violate the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These functions are known as non-analytic functions and require more advanced techniques to study and analyze.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex differentiation?

Complex differentiation has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in the analysis of electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also essential in the study of complex functions, which have numerous real-world applications, such as in signal processing and image analysis. Additionally, complex differentiation is used in optimization and control theory, making it a valuable tool for solving real-world problems.