Is the derivative of y = x^i equal to ix^{i-1} and is y always real?

In summary, complex differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a complex-valued function. It is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, and has a relationship with complex analyticity. The basic rules of complex differentiation are similar to those of ordinary differentiation, but also take into account the complex nature of the function. It is used in various real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and economics.
MHD93
Hello guys

Let
[tex]y = x^i[/tex]
x is real, i imaginary, then is it right to say:

[tex]y' = ix^{i-1}[/tex]

and must y be real?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative is correct. But why would you claim y is real? If you write it in terms of the exponential and expand, you see that y is complex.

What is complex differentiation?

Complex differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a complex-valued function. It is similar to ordinary differentiation, but takes into account the complex nature of the input and output of the function.

Why is complex differentiation important?

Complex differentiation is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, as it allows for the analysis of complex functions and the calculation of important quantities such as critical points, extrema, and integration.

What is the relationship between complex differentiation and complex analyticity?

Complex analyticity is a property of a function that means it can be represented by a power series, while complex differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function. A complex analytic function is infinitely differentiable, meaning its derivative can be found using complex differentiation.

What are the basic rules of complex differentiation?

The basic rules of complex differentiation are similar to those of ordinary differentiation, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. However, in complex differentiation, the rules also take into account the imaginary and real components of the function.

How is complex differentiation used in real-world applications?

Complex differentiation has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, analyze fluid flow in engineering, and model complex economic systems.