Solving Complex Eigenvalues: Geometric Interpretation

In summary, the question asks to show that the matrix A will have complex eigenvalues if theta is not a multiple of pi, and to give a geometric interpretation of this result. The question also suggests trying actual examples to better understand the relationship between theta, the given point, and the resulting point after applying matrix A.
mpm
I've got a homework problem that I am needing to do; however, I am not sure really what the question is asking. Obviously since I don't know what is being asked, I don't know where to begin.

I was hoping for some insight.

Question:

Show that matrix

A = {cos (theta) sin (theta), -sin (theta) cos (theta)}

will have complex eigenvalues if theta is not a multiple of pi. Give a geometric interpretation of this result.

Can anyone clear this up for me or help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you don't know what is meant by "eigenvalue" or that you just have no idea how to find an eigenvalue?

Do you know what complex numbers are? Do you know what eigenvalues of a matrix are? Geometrically, what does that matrix do, i.e. if you drew a line from (0,0) to (x,y) on a cartesian plane, representing the vector (x,y), and then computed A(x,y) to get (a,b), and then drew the line segment from (0,0) to (a,b) on your graph, what will the relationship be between theta, (x,y), and (a,b)? If you don't know the answer, do some actual examples.

I know what complex numbers and eigenvalues of matrices are.

I just didnt really know what the question meant by "geometrically show".

mpm said:
I just didnt really know what the question meant by "geometrically show".
What does the matrix A do to a given point in (x,y) with a given value of theta?

As AKG suggests, try some examples with different values of theta and different starting points.

1. What is the geometric interpretation of complex eigenvalues?

The geometric interpretation of complex eigenvalues refers to the visualization of complex numbers on the complex plane. Complex eigenvalues represent the magnitude and direction of the transformation that occurs on a vector when multiplied by a complex matrix.

2. How do we solve for complex eigenvalues?

To solve for complex eigenvalues, we use the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the complex matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. We then solve for the values of λ that make the equation true, which gives us the complex eigenvalues.

3. What is the significance of complex eigenvalues in real-world applications?

Complex eigenvalues are significant in real-world applications because they represent the oscillatory behavior of systems. This is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the behavior of systems is crucial.

4. Can we have complex eigenvectors as well?

Yes, we can have complex eigenvectors when dealing with complex eigenvalues. The eigenvectors corresponding to complex eigenvalues will also be complex numbers, and they represent the direction of the transformation on the complex plane.

5. How do we interpret the geometric meaning of complex eigenvalues in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, the geometric meaning of complex eigenvalues can be interpreted as the rotation and scaling of a vector on the complex plane. This can be applied to various physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum or the behavior of electrical circuits.