1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Eigenvalues

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello:

-was solving for the eigenvalues of a matrix. Obtained:
    [tex] \lambda = 1 \pm 2i [/tex]

-substituted back into matrix to try and solve for the eigenvectors:

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}2-2i & -2\\4 & -2-2i\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x_1 \\ x_2 \end{array}\right) = \mathbf{0} [/tex]

I'm having trouble solving this type of system. I'm just wondering what the general strategy is for tackling these types of matrices.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The same procedures as normal will work, don't let the complex numbers intimidate you! Divide the first row by 2-2i and go from there. To make (-2)/(2-2i) nicer to handle, you can multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate, 2+2i.

Once in reduced form, are you able to pick out the eigenvectors?

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'm going nuts. The matrix I gave was for the eigenvalue 1+2i btw. Here's what I did:

divide row 1 by 2-2i. Then:

[tex] \frac{-2}{2-2i} \times \frac{2+2i}{2+2i} = \frac{-4-4i}{4-4i^2} = \frac{-4-4i}{4-4(-1)} = \frac{-2-2i}{4} [/tex]

The matrix is now:

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & (-2-2i)/4 \\4 & -2-2i\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}\xi_1 \\ \xi_2 \end{array}\right) = \mathbf{0} [/tex]

Both rows clearly represent the same equation, namely:

[tex] \xi_1 = \frac{1+i}{2}\xi_2 [/tex]

To me, that means:

[tex] \mathbf{\xi^{(1)}} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} \frac{1+i}{2} \\ 1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

But according to Boyce & diPrima:

[tex] \mathbf{\xi^{(1)}} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ 1-i \end{array}\right) [/tex]

:confused:

5. Dec 14, 2004 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dammit! Nevermind. Those two answers are equivalent!!! I just had to go through a bunch more rigmarole to get it in their form! :mad: Express the ratio between xi1 and xi2 in the reverse way, and multiply by the complex conjugate yet again! (*wonders if there is some way to arrive at it in their form more directly*)

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of dividing row 1 by 2-2i, it may be easier to multiply by the right amount.

Muliply by 1+i first. This gives (2-2i)(1+i)=4 and -2(1+i)=-2-2i.
    Dividing by 4, you can see immediately that the reduced form of the matrix is:

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 &
    -\frac{1+i}{2}\\0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So [itex]\frac{1+i}{2} \choose 1[/itex] is solution. Rewrite like you did to get the other form.

If you want the 1 on top right away, you want a 1 in the upper right corner.
    Start by subtracting the 1st row from the 2nd. You get 2+2i and -2i.
    Multiply 2nd row by -i, you get: 2-2i and -2.
    Dividing the first row by 2, you get:
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}1-i &
    -1\\0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So a solution is: [itex]1 \choose 1-i[/itex].

Row reducing complex is usually tedious.

7. Dec 14, 2004 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Frien,there's no need to "go nuts"!! :tongue2: Try to put [itex] x_{1} =1[/itex] in the matrix equation and from the first equation u'll find [itex] x_{2}=1-i [/itex].If u put [itex] x_{2} =1 [/itex] in the matrix equation and solving from the second equation u'll find your solution [itex] x_{1}=\frac{1+i}{2} [/itex].U have 2 vectors.See whether they are linear independent.They're not.So,it's irrelevant which u chose in the final solution;

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?