Solving Complex Eigenvector for (-1 + i \sqrt{11})

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for an eigenvector using a complex eigenvalue and a given matrix. There are different methods suggested, and after finding some algebraic mistakes, it is determined that the answer provided in the book is a multiple of the answer initially obtained by the individual.
hotcommodity
[SOLVED] Complex Eigenvector

I need to solve for an eigenvector using the complex eigenvalue [tex] -1 + i \sqrt{11} [/tex]. I have a matrix:

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}-3 & -5 \\3 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

From the equation [tex] A \vec{V} = \lambda \vec{V} [/tex], where [tex] \vec{V} = (x, y) [/tex] I get :

[tex] -3x - 5y = -1x + i \sqrt{11}x [/tex]

[tex] 3x + y = -1y + i \sqrt{11}y [/tex]

Which gives:

[tex] -2x - i \sqrt{11}x - 5y = 0[/tex]

[tex] 3x + 2y - i \sqrt{11}y = 0 [/tex]

When I solve this system for x and y, I get a solution of (0, 0). The book agrees with the eigenvalue that I found, but has an eigenvector solution of [tex] (-2 + i \sqrt{11}, 3) [/tex]. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier to just plug in the eigenvalue to the matrix

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} -3 - \lambda & -5 \\ 3 & 1 - \lambda\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and then solve it that way.

Also, switch the first and second rows, again to make it easier. You're equations are correct, and they shouldn't come up with 0,0.

Last edited:
If I solve the first equation for y, I get
[tex]y = -\frac{1}{5} (2 + \mathrm{i}\sqrt{11}) x [/tex]
Then plugging this into the second equation gives an equation just for x. Don't forget to simplify the prefactor as much as possible, then solve for x. You'll see that though (x, y) = (0, 0) is a possibility (which you don't want, because you want it to be an eigenvector), but there are also others for which x is non-zero.

Also note, that once you found one eigenvector, you can take any multiple and it will be an eigenvector again. So you can multiply the whole thing by a factor to make the vector look nicer (e.g. if you'd get [itex](12/\sqrt{1 + x}, \sqrt{1 - x})[/itex] I'd multiply by [itex]\sqrt{1 + x}[/itex] and write it as [itex](12, \sqrt{x^2 + 1})[/itex]).

Thanks for the replies. I realize what I was doing wrong (to some degree). I made an algebraic mistake along the way. My answer wasn't the same answer that the book had, but it worked such that [tex] A \vec{V} = \lambda \vec{V} [/tex], which makes me assume that my answer was a multiple of the books answer.

That's easily checked. What was your answer?

I used the eigenvalue [tex] \lambda = 2 + i \sqrt{11} [/tex] to obtain an eigenvector of:

[tex] \vec{V_0} = \begin{pmatrix} 5\\ -2 - i \sqrt{11}\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

As was noted, this works such that [tex] A \vec{V} = \lambda \vec{V} [/tex].

And as I said, they are multiples of each other, namely:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} -2 + i \sqrt{11} \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{i \sqrt{11} - 2}{5} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ - 2 - i \sqrt{11} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So your answer is equivalent to that in the book, only they chose a multiple to make the second component look simple, while you make the first component look nice.

CompuChip said:
And as I said, they are multiples of each other, namely:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} -2 + i \sqrt{11} \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{i \sqrt{11} - 2}{5} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ - 2 - i \sqrt{11} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So your answer is equivalent to that in the book, only they chose a multiple to make the second component look simple, while you make the first component look nice.

I see, I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex eigenvector?

A complex eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a square matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. Unlike real eigenvectors, which have real-valued components, complex eigenvectors have complex-valued components.

2. What is the significance of solving for complex eigenvectors?

Solving for complex eigenvectors allows us to understand the behavior of a matrix transformation in complex vector spaces. This is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How is the eigenvalue of a complex eigenvector determined?

The eigenvalue of a complex eigenvector is determined by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix. This involves finding the roots of a polynomial equation, which will give us the eigenvalues of the matrix.

4. How do you solve for complex eigenvectors?

To solve for complex eigenvectors, we first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, we can use these eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of equations. This can be done using various methods such as Gaussian elimination or matrix diagonalization.

5. What is the formula for finding complex eigenvectors?

The formula for finding complex eigenvectors is v = (a + bi)x, where v is the complex eigenvector, x is a non-zero vector, and a + bi is the corresponding eigenvalue. This formula can also be expressed in terms of a matrix as Av = (a + bi)v, where A is the matrix and v is the complex eigenvector.