1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Eigenvectors (2x2)

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given A = [ (3,-7),(1,-2) ] and λa = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] + i [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] find a single eigenvector which spans the eigenspace.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I row reduced the matrix to get [(2, -5 + i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]),(0,0 ] and from here we can write a solution as (x1,x2)=x2((1/2,1)) however that is not a complex eigenvector, it is just a real v etor. So Somewhere along the lines I am making a mistake in understanding how you solve for a complex eigenvector. I can do this in Rn very well, but this is throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you might be making a mistake in your row reduction. This is what I get:
    $$\begin{bmatrix} 5/2 - (\sqrt{3}/2)i & -7 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}$$

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    May I ask how you did that because I keep getting the same answer even redoing the problem...

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4
    I think I did the similar thing to what you did, but instead I multiplied the top row by the complex conjugate to row reduce.

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I started with this:
    $$ \begin{bmatrix}3 - (1/2)(1 + \sqrt{3}i) & -7 \\ 1 & -2 - (1/2)(1 + \sqrt{3}i) \end{bmatrix}$$

That simplifies to
    $$\begin{bmatrix}5/2 -i\sqrt{3}/2 & -7 \\ 1 & -5/2 - i\sqrt{3}/2 \end{bmatrix}$$

I added -1 times the top row to (5/2 - i√3/2) times the bottom row.

I checked my eigenvector, and for the given matrix, Ax = λx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted