Solving Complex Equation arcsin(z)=w

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation arcsin(z)=w, where z is a complex number z=x+iy. The solution involves using the quadratic formula and taking logarithms, and it is important to note that in complex analysis, the square root, log, and inverse trig functions are multi-valued. The use of "log" in complex analysis always refers to the natural logarithm. The conversation also touches on the graph of the complex square root function, which can be generated using Mathematica.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I am trying to solve arcsin(z)=w. Where z is a complex number z=x+iy.

I got to this.

p2-2*p*i*z-1=0

where p= exp(i*w)

I don't know how to solve this quadratic equation.

This is not homework, I got this problem out of my head. I am curious.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve that quadratic I bet. It's just:

[tex]p^2-2izp-1=0[/tex]

so using the quadratic formula for ap^2+bp+c=0:

[tex]p=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

now just substitute what a, b and c are. That is a=1, b=-2iz, and c=-1 right?

then let p=e^{iw}, take (multi) logs of both sides to get:

[tex]w=-i\log(iz+\sqrt{1-z^2})[/tex]

bet you can get that and note I didn't use plus minus since in the big leagues, that square root symbol really means the multi-valued square root function and the log symbol means the multi-valued log function but don't worry about that for now.

jackmell said:
You can solve that quadratic I bet. It's just:

[tex]p^2-2izp-1=0[/tex]

so using the quadratic formula for ap^2+bp+c=0:

[tex]p=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

now just substitute what a, b and c are. That is a=1, b=-2iz, and c=-1 right?

then let p=e^{iw}, take (multi) logs of both sides to get:

[tex]w=-i\log(iz+\sqrt{1-z^2})[/tex]

bet you can get that and note I didn't use plus minus since in the big leagues, that square root symbol really means the multi-valued square root function and the log symbol means the multi-valued log function but don't worry about that for now.

yup its clear, just correction "ln" instead of "log"(im meticulous). Again why not a minus sign too? I didn't understand why we don't include that

Ok, I can tell you exactly why. Cus' you're using z and w and not x and y. You're implying the complex-variable version of the inverse sine function and in Complex Analysis, the square root, log, and inverse trig functions are multi-valued and not just the single-valued real-version you use in high-school. It's ok to use plus, minus for the square root in that expression but then you know, that's baby-looking. Also, the log function in that expression is actually infinitely-valued. Best then to treat these functions as a single multivalued entity and deal with them appropriately. That is, when you actually use it to compute something, you're smart enough to realize the expression is multivalued and if necessary, manually extract the plus and minus version of the root object for each value of the log object. That is, the function is actually doubly infinitely valued, one set of infinite values for each root although the purist in here may object to calling it twice infinity.

But this gave me another puzzle. How does graph of complex square root look like?

I've seen some color graphs but i don't know what they mean.

But then again

consider equation
[itex]x^{2}-2x+2=0[/itex]

the solutions are:

[itex]x_{1}=1-i[/itex]
[itex]x_{2}=1+i[/itex]

This isn't one and the same complex number, how come we include +/- here then?

Last edited:
The reason is that jackmell is using the convention that in complex analysis, [itex]\sqrt{\dots}[/itex] is understood to be multi-valued, so the "plus/minus" sign is implict. Alternatively, because the two roots of [itex]z^{1/2}[/itex] need not be purely real, one prefers, I suppose, to think of the two roots as being [itex]\pi[/itex] radians apart in the complex plane rather than negatives of one another (even though it does amount to a minus sign difference), so the plus/minus isn't used.

Also, in complex analysis, only log base e is ever used, so the notation "log" refers only to the log base e. Even in ordinary math, "log" is typically understood to mean base e. The only time I really see "ln" when dealing with complex numbers is when one rights the complex logarithm in terms of its real and imaginary parts:

[tex]\log z = \ln |z| + i\mbox{arg}(z).[/tex]

Mute said:
The reason is that jackmell is using the convention that in complex analysis, [itex]\sqrt{\dots}[/itex] is understood to be multi-valued, so the "plus/minus" sign is implict. Alternatively, because the two roots of [itex]z^{1/2}[/itex] need not be purely real, one prefers, I suppose, to think of the two roots as being [itex]\pi[/itex] radians apart in the complex plane rather than negatives of one another (even though it does amount to a minus sign difference), so the plus/minus isn't used.

Also, in complex analysis, only log base e is ever used, so the notation "log" refers only to the log base e. Even in ordinary math, "log" is typically understood to mean base e. The only time I really see "ln" when dealing with complex numbers is when one rights the complex logarithm in terms of its real and imaginary parts:

[tex]\log z = \ln |z| + i\mbox{arg}(z).[/tex]

but log z still has base "e" here? I found that confusing when i saw it in books.

Bassalisk said:
but log z still has base "e" here? I found that confusing when i saw it in books.

Yes. The complex logarithm is always base e. For this reason, and because mathematicians tend to use "log(x)" to mean [itex]\log_e(x)[/itex] even when working only with real numbers, the complex logarithm is just written log(z), because there is no other base it could be.

Bassalisk said:
But this gave me another puzzle. How does graph of complex square root look like?

I've seen some color graphs but i don't know what they mean.

Got Mathematica? Really, I think it's essential to get good with it if you're in a technical field. You know, why use a hand saw when you can just buy a skill saw? I mean really. Anyway, here's the code to generate a simple plot of the imaginary component of the complex square root function:

Code:
p1 = Plot3D[Im[Sqrt[x + I y]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]
p2 = Plot3D[Im[-Sqrt[x + I y]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]
Show[{p1, p2}, PlotRange -> All]

nothing fancy, we could do better. So that if you take [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] letting z=x+iy in the x-y coordinate plane, and put a point for each of the (double) value of the imaginary part of square root of x+iy, connect them all together and make surfaces, you get that plot.

jackmell said:
Got Mathematica? Really, I think it's essential to get good with it if you're in a technical field. You know, why use a hand saw when you can just buy a skill saw? I mean really. Anyway, here's the code to generate a simple plot of the imaginary component of the complex square root function:

Code:
p1 = Plot3D[Im[Sqrt[x + I y]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]
p2 = Plot3D[Im[-Sqrt[x + I y]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]
Show[{p1, p2}, PlotRange -> All]

nothing fancy, we could do better. So that if you take [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] letting z=x+iy in the x-y coordinate plane, and put a point for each of the (double) value of the imaginary part of square root of x+iy, connect them all together and make surfaces, you get that plot.
I am fond of matlab. But even in MATLAB I am not that crafty. I will google something up. Thank you.

1. What is the meaning of "arcsin" in the given equation?

"arcsin" is the inverse function of the trigonometric function "sin". It represents the angle whose sine value is equal to the given value, in this case, z.

2. How do you solve for "z" in this equation?

To solve for "z", you will need to use algebraic techniques such as isolating the variable and applying inverse trigonometric functions on both sides of the equation. This will help you find the value of "z" that satisfies the equation.

3. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since "arcsin" has a restricted domain, there may be more than one value of "z" that satisfies the equation for a given value of "w". This can be seen on a graph as multiple points of intersection.

4. What is the role of complex numbers in solving this equation?

The given equation involves both "z" and "w" as complex numbers. The solution to this equation will also be a complex number. Complex numbers are necessary to represent the imaginary values involved in trigonometric functions and their inverses.

5. Are there any specific methods to solve this type of equation?

Yes, there are specific methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphical methods that can be used to solve this type of equation. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and using trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation.