1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex equation

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've set up this equation to find the integral time in a PI-regulator.

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{X}}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{100} [/tex]

This is not solvable by normal means because the X has to be postive, thus rendering the square root negative.

I have tried by substistuting values for X, and found that if X = approx. 18,4 it will all add up.

The problem is that when solving this equation the "normal" way, it will no longer be complex when squaring the root. The answer results in approx -22.54.

What do I have to do to solve this equation and get an exact answer for X in the imaginary plane?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi again Twinflower! :smile:

Your equation has 1 solution for X, but that solution is negative.
    I'm afraid he result that you found is not a solution since the right hand side of your equation is not imaginary.

So... what is it that you want?

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Hm, when I come to think about it, the right side is indeed imaginary.
    But it doesnt seem like my calculator's solver function will accept that (Casio CFX-9860GII)

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

If your calculator is the only problem, just negate the argument of your square root and everything will be real.

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5
    Yes, I did try that but when negating the argument the solution is not identical-but-negated.

I'll try to explain the whole problem:

Determine Ti so that the cycle for the regulation is 200 seconds.

The cycle is determined by the imaginary part of the augmented equation of a differential equation.

This is the augmentet equation:
    [tex]\lambda^2 + 0.02 \lambda + \frac{0.02}{Ti} = 0[/tex]

This yields something like this:
    [tex]\alpha +/- j \beta[/tex]

And the period of the cycle is defined like this:

Beta equals rad pr second for the sine wave, and the cycle is defined as 2pi/beta.
    That means that if the cycle has to be 200, then beta has to be j pi/100.

Because beta is the imaginary part, and Ti is the only unknown in the standard polynomial equation for 2 unknowns, I tried to solve it the way I described in my first post.

Failing miserably ;)

7. Dec 11, 2011 #6
    I tried this as well, but it can't be done because:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{18.4}}}{2} = 0.0314158[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{-18.4}}}{2} = 0.0344522[/tex]

8. Dec 11, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Looks like you did it right in your opening post, except that you forgot to include an [itex]i[/itex] on the RHS of your equation.

Perhaps you can solve this?
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{-(0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{X})}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{100}[/tex]

9. Dec 11, 2011 #8
    YES!
    It worked perfecly!

X = 18.399933
    (my estimate was pretty close)

Thanks, for the nth time :)
    You really deserve your homework helper badge. And you should know that it's guys like you that made me donate to this forum :)

10. Dec 11, 2011 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

:blushing:

TBH, it's people like you that make me spend so much time on this forum. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook