Complex Exponential: Why is e Used?

In summary, the use of "e" as the base for the exponential in the formula e^{ix} = cos(x) + i sin(x) is not just a definition, but rather an important choice that allows for its derivation from Taylor's series. Additionally, the argument of the sine and cosine must be interpreted as radian measure for the formula to hold.
Repetit
Hey!

I was wondering, is it merely a definition that

[tex]e^{ix}= cos(x) + i sin(x) [/tex]

or is it actually important that it is the number e which is used as base for the exponential?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not a definition, yes, it is important the "e" be the base of the exponentials. That formula can be derived from the Taylor's series for ex, cos x, and sin x. Taylor's series depends upon the derivatives and the derivative of ex happens to be ex itself. The derivative of ax is axln(a) so corresponding formulas are more complicated.
For similar reasons, it is also important that the argument in the sine and cosine be interpreted as radian measure, not degrees.

1. What is e and why is it used in complex exponentials?

E is a mathematical constant with a value of approximately 2.71828. It is used in complex exponentials because it has many useful properties, such as being its own derivative, making calculations easier and more efficient.

2. How is e related to natural logarithms?

E and natural logarithms are inversely related. The natural logarithm of a number x is the power to which e must be raised to equal x (e^x = x).

3. Can e be used in other types of mathematical functions?

Yes, e can be used in a variety of mathematical functions such as growth and decay, compound interest, and probability distributions.

4. How does e play a role in complex numbers?

E is used in complex numbers as a base for the imaginary unit, i. This allows for the simplification of complex exponentials and makes calculations more efficient.

5. Why is e considered a fundamental constant in mathematics?

E is considered a fundamental constant in mathematics because it appears in many important mathematical formulas and has unique properties that make it useful in a variety of applications.