1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Exponentials

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Hi,

If [tex]z=Ae^{i\theta}[/tex], deduce that [tex] dz = iz d\theta [/tex], and explain the relation in a vector diagram.

I know that [tex] z = x + iy [/tex] but I don't know if that's going to help. Any hints or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    The derivative of z:

dz=i*A*e^(i*Θ)*dΘ

You have to ask yourself what are i,j: are they directions (r=xi+yj) or are they complex numbers ( x=a+i*b y=c+j*d).

Secondly, graphing on a polar plot one direction is for the real (x-axis) and the other for the imaginary (y-axis).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Please note, I made an error in my first post...it is now correct.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    This may help:

z=A*cosΘ+i*A*sinΘ

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5
    Alright, I can picture the [tex]Acos\theta[/tex] and [tex]Asin\theta[/tex] on the horizontal and vertical axes, respectively. I don't understand how the z is still in the derivative equation?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. Sep 25, 2008 #6
    dz is the change in z. i in a vector diagram is equal to 90deg, right. So when you take the derivative of a vector you shift 90deg.

8. Sep 25, 2008 #7
    Philosophaie gave you a big hint. Look at the equation in his first post real carefully. What is "z" equal to? You already told us. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?