1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex exponents

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have recently started learning about complex numbers and the complex plane, and there is something I don't quite understand. Why is it that for every number [itex] z \in C [/itex]

[itex] e^{i\theta} = z [/itex]

we have

[itex] \sqrt { [Re(z)]² + [Im(z)]² } = 1 [/itex] ?

Except for [itex] \theta = \frac {\pi}{2} or \frac {3\pi}{2} [/itex] of course. In other words, why do all numbers z define a unit circle's radius ?

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    That is not true. Only complex numbers of the form z = e^(iθ) lie on the unit circle and satisfy that equation. Complex numbers of the form z = Re^(iθ) lie on circles of radius R in the complex plane, as you can verify.

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    I have stated that z must satisfy

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4
    In that case, apply Euler's formula: e^(iθ) = cos(θ) + i*sin(θ), from which the result is immediate. The derivation of Euler's formula is implied by the Taylor series for e^x, cos(x) and sin(x), but its full justification requires a little more rigor.

6. Apr 25, 2012 #5
    Ok so adding the taylor series for cos(θ) and for i sin(θ) should give the taylor series for e^(iθ) ? I will definitely try that out. Thank you!

7. Apr 25, 2012 #6
    Yes, that's one of the proofs. Definitely worth going through the steps. Euler's formula falls right out of the power series for e^(iθ).

8. Apr 25, 2012 #7

chiro

Science Advisor

Also if you apply the fact that the complex conjugate of e^(iθ) = e^(-iθ) then multiply the two gives you e^(iθ - iθ) = e^(0) = 1.

You can prove this using the propery that cos(-x) = cos(x) and -sin(x) = sin(-x) using properties of odd and even functions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook