1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex function conjugate

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a complex function

[tex]w\left(z\right)=e^{sin\left(z\right)}[/tex]

What is the conjugate?

2. The attempt at a solution

The conjugate is

[tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=e^{sin\left(z^{*}\right)}[/tex]
    [tex]w\left(x-iy\right)=e^{sin\left(x-iy\right)}[/tex]

My question is, is my answer correct? If I wrong, could you tell me what is the right answer and how to reach this correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    Your answer is flawless!

AB

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks. I was sure about that, but one of my friend said I was wrong. So, is there a way to proof it? Because I see it as a definition that whenever there is a complex function [tex]w\left(z\right)=w\left(x+iy}\right)[/tex], then the conjugate is always [tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=w\left(x-iy\right)[/tex]. I would be more than happy if someone can show me or point me to a proof that the above definition is always true.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    But I think you need
    W*(z)
    and not
    W(z*)

Ask your advisor B. .....L.P. !!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    Since that is a definition, we can't do so much to give a real proof. But you can imagine the case involving [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex]. In this case, using the Euler relation one can see

[tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)[/tex],
    [tex]e^{i(-\theta)}=\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)[/tex] (by the symmetry of cos and anti-symmetry of sin wrt the change of the sign of [tex]\theta[/tex]),

so

[tex]e^{i\theta}e^{i(-\theta)}=[\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)][\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)] = 1.[/tex].

Here you can understand that the result of the product of the function [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] and its complex conjugate leads to the correct answer 1 just by looking at the first part of the equality. The second part confirms the complex conjugation of [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-i\theta}[/tex]. Thus a change in the sign of [tex]i[/tex] makes the function be transferred into its complex conjugate phase.

AB

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook