Can We Determine a Complex Function from Its Poles Alone?

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex function with simple poles on the complex plane and whether the exact form of the function can be determined just from its poles. It is concluded that the function can be expressed as H(x)+\sum_{n}\frac{c_{n}}{(z-z_{n})^{k_{n}}}, where H is analytic, zn are the poles and the cn and kn are constants. The conversation also mentions the Mittag Leffers theorem and the use of harmonic series on the real axis. It is suggested to modify the sum to have a specific shape and references are made to Ahlfors' Complex analysis, the Basel problem, and the Weierstrass factorization theorem.
gonadas91
Suppose we have a complex function [tex] f(z)[/tex] with simple poles on the complex plane, and we know exactly where these poles are located (but we don't know how the function depends on z) Is there any way to build up the exact form of [tex] f(z)[/tex] just from its poles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gonadas91 said:
Suppose we have a complex function [tex] f(z)[/tex] with simple poles on the complex plane, and we know exactly where these poles are located (but we don't know how the function depends on z) Is there any way to build up the exact form of [tex] f(z)[/tex] just from its poles?
No. You can conclude that the function is of the form [itex] H(x)+\sum_{n}\frac{c_{n}}{(z-z_{n})^{k_{n}}}[/itex], where H is analytic, zn are the poles and the cn and kn are constants (the kn are positive integers).

For every function f(z), 2*f(z), z*f(z) and so on have the same poles (the last one assuming 0 is not a pole).

Yes, thanks for both replies, I think the first one is related with Mittag Leffers theorem, the poles I am talking about follow a law, for example, a harmonic series on the real axis. But the sum over all this poles gives a complicated function the complex plane. To be clear, I am trying to evaluate a function of the type: [tex] f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{z-z_{n}} [/tex] where the zn poles can follow a law, for example [tex] z_{n}=A*(n+\frac{1}{2})^{2} [/tex] where A is constant. The problem is that the series depending on these poles can give as a result really complicated functions of z, I just wanted to know if there is an analytical way to carry out these sums.

Some poles will match (e. g. n=1, n=-2).

A sum like$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(n+c)^2}$$ should have an analytic result, and you can modify your sum to have that shape.

Thats actually what I have done, and yes it has to have an analytical form, I was just wondering about an analytical method to arrive at it, rather than using Mathematica, just to know if there exist a general method or something, many thanks for the replies

Picked up my trusty Ahlfors (Complex analysis) and he shows that [itex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(z-n)^{2}}=\frac{\pi^{2}}{\sin^{2}\pi z} [/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{z}+\sum_{n\neq 0}(\frac{1}{z-n}+\frac{1}{n})=\pi\cot(\pi z) [/itex]. Might give you some ideas.

Many thanks for the replies!

Likes mfb

1. What are complex functions?

Complex functions are mathematical functions that take complex numbers as inputs and outputs. They are often written in the form of f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u and v are real-valued functions of the real variables x and y, and i is the imaginary unit. Complex functions can be used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are poles in complex functions?

Poles are points in the complex plane where a complex function becomes undefined or infinite. They are also known as singularities. In other words, they are the values of the complex variable where the function is not defined or where it blows up. Poles can be classified as simple, double, triple, and so on, depending on the order of the singularity.

3. How are poles related to the behavior of complex functions?

Poles have a significant impact on the behavior of complex functions. They can affect the convergence and divergence of series, the existence of integrals, and the analyticity of a function. Poles can also determine the location of essential singularities and the behavior of the function near these points.

4. What are some real-world applications of complex functions and poles?

Complex functions and poles have various real-world applications. For example, in electrical engineering, they are used to analyze alternating current circuits. In physics, they are used to model and solve problems in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics. In economics, they are used to study economic growth and financial markets. They also have applications in signal processing, control theory, and many other fields.

5. How can one determine the poles of a complex function?

There are various methods for determining the poles of a complex function. One way is to find the zeros of the denominator of the function's expression. Another way is to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to find the points where the function is not differentiable. Graphical methods, such as the Argand diagram, can also be used to locate poles. Additionally, knowledge of the properties and behaviors of different types of functions can help identify poles.