Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: [Complex Functions]

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]f(z)[/tex] is a complex function that belongs to [tex]C^1[/tex]. Prove that:

[tex]\lim_{r\to{0}}\frac{1}{r^2}\oint_{\tiny{|z-z_0|=r}}{f(z)dz}=2\pi{i}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \overline z}(z_0) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using Green's Theorem:
    [tex]\oint_{{C}}{f(z,\overline z)dz}=2{i}\iint\limits_D {\frac{\partial f}{\partial \overline z}} \, dA[/tex]

I got:
    [tex]\lim_{r\to{0}}\frac{1}{r^2}\oint_{\tiny{|z-z_0|=r}}{f(z)dz}= \lim_{r\to{0}}\frac{1}{r^2}2{i}\iint\limits_{|z-z_0| \le r} {\frac{\partial f}{\partial \overline z}} \, dA[/tex]

It would be perfect if [tex]\iint\limits_{|z-z_0| \le r} {\frac{\partial f}{\partial \overline z}} \, dA = {\pi}{r^2}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \overline z}(z_0)[/tex] but I don't know how to prove it (acctualy I can't even believe that it is true).

Any directions will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is analysis. You don't need perfect, you just need close enough. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook