Complex imaginary Number Problem

In summary: The i terms should cancel out too.:x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x:
crays
Hi, i have this question which is related to complex number and i have just no idea how i should solve it. Some guide and help please.

Given that z = x + yi and w = (z+8i)/(z-6) , z [tex]\neq[/tex] 6. If w is totally imaginary, show that x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 48 = 0

I've tried a lot of way comparing them. Just can't work.
I substituted z into w but end up still with a w. How can i get rid of the w?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crays! :smile:
crays said:
I substituted z into w but end up still with a w.

You should really have shown us what you got, otherwise we can't see where you went wrong.

Hint: multiply top and bottom by the complex conjugate of (z - 6). :smile:

i tried using the conjugate way. The equation formed is extremely long @_@.
Here is it:

(x^2 - y^2 + 2x + 14yi + 48i) / (x^2 - y^2 - 36)

There is still i in it @_@.

You could just substitute the z into the expression for w, multiply the denominator with its complex conjugate. You are given that w is imaginary, so what does that say about that expression you have?

Anyway, I didn't manage to get that answer you gave. Did you transcribe the question correctly?

crays said:
(x^2 - y^2 + 2x + 14yi + 48i) / (x^2 - y^2 - 36)

There is still i in it @_@.

crays, there's supposed t be an i in it! :rolleyes:

w has to be purely imaginary … that's zero plus something-times-i.

If your equation were correct, the solution would be x² - y² + 2x = 0.

You have a minus wrong, and the 48 seems to be in the wrong place …

show us your working! :smile:

w = imaginary means that the whole w equation = imaginary ? I don't really understand how does that helps tho. Erm yes, i'll repeat my question here again

Given that z = x + yi and w = (z+8i)/(z-6) , z =/= 6 , show that x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 48 = 0

crays said:
Hi, i have this question which is related to complex number and i have just no idea how i should solve it. Some guide and help please.

Given that z = x + yi and w = (z+8i)/(z-6) , z [tex]\neq[/tex] 6. If w is totally imaginary, show that x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 48 = 0

I've tried a lot of way comparing them. Just can't work.
I substituted z into w but end up still with a w. How can i get rid of the w?
You don't want to get rid of the w, you want to use the fact that it is "totally imaginary"-i.e., its real part is 0. If you put z= x+ yi into w, what is the real part of 0?

Okay, my working :
(z + 8i) / (z - 6) x (z + 6) / (z + 6)
= (z² - 6z + 8zi + 48i) / (z² - 36)
= [(x+yi)² - 6(x+yi) + 8(x+yi)i + 48i] / (x+yi)² - 36)
= (x² - y² - 6x + 6yi + 8x + 8yi + 48i) / (x² - y² - 36)
= (x² - y² + 2x + 14yi + 48i) / (x² - y² - 36)

HallsofIvy said:
You don't want to get rid of the w, you want to use the fact that it is "totally imaginary"-i.e., its real part is 0. If you put z= x+ yi into w, what is the real part of 0?

My teacher did not explain it properly. What does TOTALLY imaginary means? Means the whole equation is imaginary ? means there is no real number there? I'm confused @_@

Neither z+6 nor z-6 is not the complex conjugate of z-6. Your denominator is still complex.

crays said:
(z + 8i) / (z - 6) x (z + 6) / (z + 6)

crays, the conjugate of z - 6 is not z +6, is it? :frown:

Hint: put z - 6 = x - 6 + yi. :smile:

An expression is totally imaginary or pure imaginary if the real part is identically zero.

So sorry my maths foundation and expansion is still not good enough. Here is my new one, (hopefully without error)

(x² - y² + 2x + 2yi - 48i) / (x² - y² - 36)

D H @ I don't really get it, so 0 is imaginary ?

crays said:
(x² - y² + 2x + 2yi - 48i) / (x² - y² - 36)
Show your work, please.

D H @ I don't really get it, so 0 is imaginary ?
The same question (is zero real or imaginary) can be applied to the real numbers: is zero positive or negative? Zero can be viewed as both positive and negative, or as neither positive nor negative. The same applies to complex numbers. Zero is a special case.

(x² - y² - 36) is wrong.

Hint: what is (x - 6 - yi)(x - 6 + yi) ? :smile:

Sorry, here is my working.

[ (Z + 8i) / ( z - 6 ) ] x [ (z - 6) / (z - 6) ]
= (z² - 6z + 8zi - 48i) / (z² - 36)
= (x² - y² - 6x - 6yi + 8x + 8yi - 48i) / ( x² - y² - 36 )
= (x² - y² + 2x + 2yi - 48i) / (x² - y² - 36)

crays, both D H and I have told you that z+6 is not the complex conjugate of z-6.

Follow the hint! :smile:

i am, just that i posted before you posted lol. Thanks.
here it is, following ur hints, I've got.

(x² - y² + 2x + 2yi - 48i) / (x² - 12x + 2xyi + 36 - 12yi - y²)

crays said:
i am, just that i posted before you posted lol. Thanks.
here it is, following ur hints, I've got.

(x² - y² + 2x + 2yi - 48i) / (x² - 12x + 2xyi + 36 - 12yi - y²)

Nooo. Let's concentrate on the denominator …

it should be purely real, shouldn't it?

The x² - 12x + 36 is correct, but the y part shouldn't have any i, should it? :smile:

finally! thanks.

I've got it cause in z there is no imaginary number so i must expand it first right?
with that I've found (denominator)
x² - 12x + 36 + y²

Last edited:
crays said:
finally! thanks.

I've got it cause in z there is no imaginary number so i must expand it first right?
with that I've found (denominator)
x² - 12x + 36 + y²

crays, before we go any further, can you please check the question …

is w = (z+8i)/(z-6), or is w = (z+8)/(z-6) ?

(I only get the right answer with the latter. :confused: )

Yes, the book says w = (z + 8i) / (z-6). Apparently my friend tried the question too but we both got stucked with (x² - y² -6x +8y -6yi + 8xi -48i)/(x² -12x + 36 + y²)

crays said:
Yes, the book says w = (z + 8i) / (z-6). Apparently my friend tried the question too but we both got stucked with (x² - y² -6x +8y -6yi + 8xi -48i)/(x² -12x + 36 + y²)

ok … see what happens with w = (z+8)/(z-6) :smile:

1. What is a complex imaginary number?

A complex imaginary number is a number that includes a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i" and is defined as the square root of -1.

2. How do you perform operations on complex imaginary numbers?

To add or subtract complex imaginary numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply, use the FOIL method and remember that i^2 = -1. To divide, multiply by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

3. What is the purpose of using complex imaginary numbers?

Complex imaginary numbers are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed using only real numbers, such as the square root of a negative number. They are also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, including electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

4. How do you graph complex imaginary numbers?

Complex imaginary numbers can be graphed on the complex plane, with the real part represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part represented on the y-axis. The number is plotted as a point on the plane, with the real part as the x-coordinate and the imaginary part as the y-coordinate.

5. Can complex imaginary numbers be converted to polar form?

Yes, complex imaginary numbers can be converted to polar form using the absolute value (or magnitude) of the number and the argument (or angle) of the number. The absolute value is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts, and the argument is found using inverse trigonometric functions.