1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex impedance problem

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1
    parallell.png

For the problem on the left, the 2 capacitors are parallel to each other so the 1/z = 1/-2j + 1/-2j = 2/-2j

so 1/z = 1/-j = -1/j

so the total impedance of the 2 capacitors, z = -j

Now if you add this to 5j + 4 (the total impedance of the resistor and inductor) you get 4j+4. However this doesn't give the right answer..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The capacitors are not in parallel. They have an inductor between them. You need to write the KCL equations and solve them simultaneously...

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3

gneill

No they are not. One pair of their leads (the bottom ones) are connected together, but there's an inductor in the way of the other connection. So, not parallel.

EDIT: Oops. Berkeman beat me to the punch!

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

berkeman

Actually, it's easier than using KCL equations. Do series-parallel combinations of the complex impedances to get the overall input impedance...

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5
    So if they are not in parallel they must be in series? In which case we just add them? -2j +-2j =-4j?

7. Feb 11, 2014 #6

berkeman

For the left circuit, you first make a series combination, then a parallel combination, then a final series combination. You fold the circuit up from right to left in this case...

8. Feb 11, 2014 #7
    Ah I see..

For the one on the right, I done the following but I don't get the answer correct?

the 4 ohm resistor and the 1j ohm inductor are in series so you just add them up to get 4+1j, then this combined total is in parallel with the 2j ohm inductor so

1/(4+1j) + 1/(2j) = 1/Z

so Z = 16/25 + 38j/25 (once simplified and rationalised)

then you add -1j ohm to the answer of the above (as the -1j capacitor is in series with our above answer) so

Z = 16/25 + 13j/25 (2)

Then the remaining 1 ohm resistor (the one to the left) is calculated in parallel with (2)

so 1/Z = 1/1 + 1/(16+13j/25)

But simplifying the above and finding it in the form r<theta, gives me a different answer to the given answer. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks

9. Feb 11, 2014 #8

berkeman

It looks like you are using the correct steps. Can you post your work in detail so we can check it?

10. Feb 14, 2014 #9
    I just made a small algebraic mistake!

Thanks anyway.. :)

11. Feb 14, 2014 #10

berkeman

Sweet! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted