Understanding Complex Impedance in Electrical Circuits

In summary, for the problem on the left, the two capacitors are not in parallel as they have an inductor between them. The correct approach is to make a series combination, then a parallel combination, and finally another series combination. For the problem on the right, the correct steps are to make a series combination of the 4 ohm resistor and 1j ohm inductor, then a parallel combination with the 2j ohm inductor, and finally another series combination with the remaining 1 ohm resistor. Once simplified and rationalized, the final answer should be in the form r<theta.
influx
parallell.png

For the problem on the left, the 2 capacitors are parallel to each other so the 1/z = 1/-2j + 1/-2j = 2/-2j

so 1/z = 1/-j = -1/j

so the total impedance of the 2 capacitors, z = -j

Now if you add this to 5j + 4 (the total impedance of the resistor and inductor) you get 4j+4. However this doesn't give the right answer..

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
parallell.png

For the problem on the left, the 2 capacitors are parallel to each other so the 1/z = 1/-2j + 1/-2j = 2/-2j

so 1/z = 1/-j = -1/j

so the total impedance of the 2 capacitors, z = -j

Now if you add this to 5j + 4 (the total impedance of the resistor and inductor) you get 4j+4. However this doesn't give the right answer..

The capacitors are not in parallel. They have an inductor between them. You need to write the KCL equations and solve them simultaneously...

influx said:
parallell.png

For the problem on the left, the 2 capacitors are parallel to each other
No they are not. One pair of their leads (the bottom ones) are connected together, but there's an inductor in the way of the other connection. So, not parallel.EDIT: Oops. Berkeman beat me to the punch!

berkeman said:
The capacitors are not in parallel. They have an inductor between them. You need to write the KCL equations and solve them simultaneously...

Actually, it's easier than using KCL equations. Do series-parallel combinations of the complex impedances to get the overall input impedance...

berkeman said:
Actually, it's easier than using KCL equations. Do series-parallel combinations of the complex impedances to get the overall input impedance...

So if they are not in parallel they must be in series? In which case we just add them? -2j +-2j =-4j?

influx said:
So if they are not in parallel they must be in series? In which case we just add them? -2j +-2j =-4j?

For the left circuit, you first make a series combination, then a parallel combination, then a final series combination. You fold the circuit up from right to left in this case...

berkeman said:
For the left circuit, you first make a series combination, then a parallel combination, then a final series combination. You fold the circuit up from right to left in this case...

Ah I see..

For the one on the right, I done the following but I don't get the answer correct?

the 4 ohm resistor and the 1j ohm inductor are in series so you just add them up to get 4+1j, then this combined total is in parallel with the 2j ohm inductor so

1/(4+1j) + 1/(2j) = 1/Z

so Z = 16/25 + 38j/25 (once simplified and rationalised)

then you add -1j ohm to the answer of the above (as the -1j capacitor is in series with our above answer) so

Z = 16/25 + 13j/25 (2)

Then the remaining 1 ohm resistor (the one to the left) is calculated in parallel with (2)

so 1/Z = 1/1 + 1/(16+13j/25)

But simplifying the above and finding it in the form r<theta, gives me a different answer to the given answer. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks

influx said:
Ah I see..

For the one on the right, I done the following but I don't get the answer correct?

the 4 ohm resistor and the 1j ohm inductor are in series so you just add them up to get 4+1j, then this combined total is in parallel with the 2j ohm inductor so

1/(4+1j) + 1/(2j) = 1/Z

so Z = 16/25 + 38j/25 (once simplified and rationalised)

then you add -1j ohm to the answer of the above (as the -1j capacitor is in series with our above answer) so

Z = 16/25 + 13j/25 (2)

Then the remaining 1 ohm resistor (the one to the left) is calculated in parallel with (2)

so 1/Z = 1/1 + 1/(16+13j/25)

But simplifying the above and finding it in the form r<theta, gives me a different answer to the given answer. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks

It looks like you are using the correct steps. Can you post your work in detail so we can check it?

berkeman said:
It looks like you are using the correct steps. Can you post your work in detail so we can check it?

I just made a small algebraic mistake!

Thanks anyway.. :)

Sweet! :smile:

Likes 1 person

What is complex impedance?

Complex impedance is a measure of the opposition to an alternating current (AC) flow in a circuit. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance, which is the measure of the circuit's inductance and capacitance.

Why do we use complex impedance?

We use complex impedance to analyze the behavior of AC circuits. It allows us to determine the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit, taking into account both resistance and reactance. This is important for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

How do you calculate complex impedance?

Complex impedance is calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is the complex impedance, R is the resistance, and X is the reactance. The resistance is calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I), and the reactance is calculated using the formulas for inductance and capacitance (XL = 2πfL and XC = 1/(2πfC) respectively).

What is the difference between complex impedance and resistance?

The main difference between complex impedance and resistance is that impedance takes into account both the magnitude and phase of the AC current, while resistance only considers the magnitude of the current. Impedance also includes both resistance and reactance, while resistance only considers the opposition to current flow caused by the material of a component.

What are some applications of complex impedance?

Complex impedance has many applications in the fields of electrical engineering and physics. It is commonly used in AC circuit analysis, electronic filter design, and antenna design. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as impedance spectroscopy and bioimpedance analysis.