Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex index of refraction

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    Why would one need to use a complex index of refraction? Are there circumstances in which the ordinary index of refraction breaks down? What are they?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Complex indices of refraction are used to describe absorbing materials where the electric field is diminished in amplitude as it propagates. For example, an imperfect conductor has a complex index of refraction which leads to the well known result that the field only penetrates to certain depth called the skin depth. More generally, there are a whole class of lossy dielectrics that have complex indices of refraction. A system like a dilute atomic vapor can also have a complex index of refraction where again it describes the attenuation of light that passes through the gas.
  4. Oct 7, 2011 #3
    But it is rather hard to understand if we might use complex or real optical index sometimes... Examples:
    1/ Snell-Descartes law in complex gives different results than with real indexes. So, which one is true ?
    2/ Link between optical index and dielectric function. Usually, n=sqrt(epsilon). But epsilon is complex. Then index is complex. What about critical angle = arcsin(n2/n1), then ? arcsin(Re(sqrt(epsilon_2)/sqrt(epsilon_1)) ? Or Re(arcsin(sqrt(epsion_2)/sqrt(epsilon_1))) ? Different results.
    There many relations like this, in which complex formulation makes everything harder to feel.
  5. Oct 7, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The imaginary part of the index of refraction corresponds to absorption (or gain). Adapting Snell's law (or any other relationship using the refractive index) to a complex index of refraction is straightforward by using the relationship sin(i*q) = i sinh(q) and cos(i*q) = cosh(q).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?