1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Induction

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove by induction [tex]cos(6\theta)+isin(6\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^6[/tex] for all [tex]\theta[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    by DeMoivres theorem, [tex](cos\theta +isin\theta )^n=cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well when I first looked at this problem I thought there was an error in the question because from what I know, induction has a flaw in that it can only prove for integers, not ALL values.

Anyway, so I need to prove:

[tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=(cos(k+1)+isin(k+1)) ^6[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you can use Euler's formula here: e^(ia) = cos(a) + i sin(a). You also need the fact that e^(ab) = (e^a)^b.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

So
    [tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{6i})^{k+1}=e^{6i}.(e^{6i})^k[/tex]

Sorry but I'm unsure what to do from here. And please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Feb 3, 2009 #4

Mark44

Try this instead.
    [tex]cos6(k+1)+isin6(k+1)=e^{i6(k+1)}=(e^{i(k + 1)})^{6}[/tex]

Now you're almost there...

6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you may be misinterpreting the question here. I assume that you are supposed to start by showing [itex]cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)=(cos\theta +isin\theta )^n[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex], and some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (I'd use n=1 as your starting point) by expanding [itex](cos\theta +isin\theta )^k[/itex] and using the multiple angle trig identities. Then assuming it is true for [itex]n=k[/itex] show that it is true for [itex]n=k+1[/itex] and hence by induction that it is true for all n, including [itex]n=6[/itex]

Mark's method isn't really a proof by induction, since you are assuming that Euler's formula holds for all [itex]\theta[/itex].

7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

Mark44

It seemed odd to me, too, but I'm just going by what mentallic wrote in the first post in this thread:
    and

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a poorly worded question; they may as well have just asked to prove by induction that [itex](x)^6=x^6[/itex] for all x.

9. Feb 4, 2009 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well this is the only question I got wrong in that test (besides a couple sloppy errors). I was unsure how I would prove for all [tex]\theta[/tex] without using DeMoivres theorem, and at the same time, if I were to assume the theorem true, then... I have pretty much the same thing as what you said gabbagabbahey:
    So I instead went ahead and proved DeMoivres theorem [tex]cos(n\theta)+isin(n\theta)=(cos\theta+isin\theta)^n[/tex]
    And thus, true for n=6 and I probably cheated here when I finished with the statement, hence true for all [tex]\theta[/tex].

Sorry Mark, but I was never taught Euler's method. We rather used the mod-arg form [tex]rcis\theta[/tex]. But I have heard that there is a clear relationship between these 2 forms, so if we could convert to the mod-arg form, I could proceed :smile:

If it is poorly worded, what should the question have been instead? Because this is exactly what we needed to answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?