Complex integral in finite contour at semiaxis

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of evaluating a complex integral with poles at the origin and offers two approaches to solve it - using the Residue Theorem or the Cauchy Principal Value. Both methods involve manipulating the contour of integration to avoid the issue of the poles at the origin.
Enrike
Hi,

I have a difficult time trying to perform the following integral,

$$ j({T}, \Omega)=\int_0^{ T} d\tau \frac{\tau^2\exp(-i\Omega\tau)}{(\tau-i\epsilon)^2(\tau+i\epsilon)^2} $$

The problem is that the poles ##\pm i\epsilon## when taking the limit ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0## are located at the very origin of the contour of integrations ##\tau\in(0,{T})##. I have to find the dependence on the "total time" ##{T}## so I have to maintain a finite interval in the integral and I can´t no make the limit ##{ T}\rightarrow\infty## from the beginning.

Please, any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Sincerely.

Attachments

• contorno.jpg
    contorno.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are trying to evaluate a complex integral involving poles at the origin. This can be a challenging task, but there are some techniques that can help you out.

One approach you can take is to use the Residue Theorem. This theorem states that if you have a closed contour integral around a function with isolated singularities, the integral is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the singularities inside the contour.

In your case, you can choose a contour that encloses the origin and evaluate the residues at the poles. This will give you a finite value for your integral, even when taking the limit ε→0.

Another approach you can try is to use the Cauchy Principal Value. This method involves splitting the integral into two parts, one around the origin and one away from the origin. Then, you can take the limit ε→0 for the integral around the origin and evaluate the other integral separately. This can help you avoid the issue of the poles being located at the origin.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in solving your integral. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in the real plane, but the curve and the values being integrated may involve complex numbers.

2. What is a finite contour?

A finite contour is a closed curve in the complex plane that encloses a finite area. It is used in complex integration to define the limits of the integration and to determine the behavior of the function being integrated.

3. What is a semiaxis?

A semiaxis is a half-line that extends indefinitely in one direction from a given point. In complex integration, a semiaxis is often used as part of the contour to define the limits of integration along the real axis.

4. Why is the complex integral in a finite contour at semiaxis important?

The complex integral in a finite contour at semiaxis is important because it allows us to solve complex integrals that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. It is also used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

5. What are some applications of complex integrals in finite contour at semiaxis?

Complex integrals in finite contour at semiaxis have many applications, such as in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the design and analysis of complex systems in engineering and technology.