Complex integral limit

In summary: Oops, I made a mistake in the previous post. Instead of ##r\pi## we get ##2r\pi##, so I got ##2r \pi## instead of ##r\pi##.Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that I get a useless bound for the integral's absolute value. What else can I do to get a useful bound for the integral's absolute value?In summary, a proof is provided for the statement that as the radius of the circle in the upper half of the complex plane tends to infinity, the value of the integral of the function ##\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}## goes to zero. The key to the solution is using the bound ##\left
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##\gamma_r:[0,\pi] \to \mathbb C## be given by ##\gamma_r(t)=re^{it}##. Prove that ##\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=0##.

The attempt at a solution.

The only thing I could do was:
## \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt=\int_0^{\pi} e^{ire^{it}}idt##. At this point I got stuck, this expression ## e^{ire^{it}}## looks horrible to me and I don't know what to do with it.

The curve ##\gamma_r## is the upper half of the circle of radius ##r##, according to the statement as the radius of the circle tends to infinity, the value of the integral goes to zero. I would like to understand intuitively why this is the case and how the function ##\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}## behaves.

I would appreciate some help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##\gamma_r:[0,\pi] \to \mathbb C## be given by ##\gamma_r(t)=re^{it}##. Prove that ##\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=0##.

The attempt at a solution.

The only thing I could do was:
## \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt=\int_0^{\pi} e^{ire^{it}}idt##. At this point I got stuck, this expression ## e^{ire^{it}}## looks horrible to me and I don't know what to do with it.

The curve ##\gamma_r## is the upper half of the circle of radius ##r##, according to the statement as the radius of the circle tends to infinity, the value of the integral goes to zero. I would like to understand intuitively why this is the case and how the function ##\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}## behaves.

I would appreciate some help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Use the bound [tex]
\left|\int_\gamma f(z)\,dz\right| \leq L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|
[/tex] where [itex]L(\gamma)[/itex] is the length of the curve [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Note that [itex]e^{ire^{it}} = e^{ir\cos t}e^{-r\sin t}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
Use the bound [tex]
\left|\int_\gamma f(z)\,dz\right| \leq L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|
[/tex] where [itex]L(\gamma)[/itex] is the length of the curve [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Note that [itex]e^{ire^{it}} = e^{ir\cos t}e^{-r\sin t}[/itex].

Thanks, that inequality is the key to the solution. Now, working on the right member of the inequality

##L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|=\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##

I have problems to find a bound for the expression ##r\pi\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##. I would like to get to an expression with an ##r## on the denominator, something like ##\dfrac{k}{r^c}## with ##k## constant and ##c\geq 1##, but I don't know how to get to that.

The r cancels out, next the exponentional tends to zero as r tends to infinity, do you agree?

mahler1 said:
Thanks, that inequality is the key to the solution. Now, working on the right member of the inequality

##L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|=\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##

I have problems to find a bound for the expression ##r\pi\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##. I would like to get to an expression with an ##r## on the denominator, something like ##\dfrac{k}{r^c}## with ##k## constant and ##c\geq 1##, but I don't know how to get to that.

Unfortunately [itex]f(z) = e^{iz}/z[/itex] is a case where this bound doesn't give a sufficiently accurate bound for the integral. But one can instead use [tex]
\left| \int_{t_1}^{t_2} f(Re^{it}) iRe^{it}\,dt \right| \leq R\int_{t_1}^{t_2} |f(Re^{it})|\,dt.
[/tex] In this case you end up needing to find an estimate for [itex]\int_0^\pi e^{-R\sin t}\,dt[/itex]. Fortunately the symmetry about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] allows the use of Jordan's Inequality to find an easily integrable [itex]g_R: [0,\pi/2] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]e^{-R\sin t} \leq g_R(t)[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex].

Likes 1 person
dirk_mec1 said:
The r cancels out, next the exponentional tends to zero as r tends to infinity, do you agree?

The supremum of [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] on [itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi[/itex] (which must be calculated before taking the limit of r) is 1 (occuring at [itex]t = 0[/itex] and [itex]t = \pi[/itex]), so in fact there is no exponential.

You're right, my bad.

pasmith said:
Unfortunately [itex]f(z) = e^{iz}/z[/itex] is a case where this bound doesn't give a sufficiently accurate bound for the integral. But one can instead use [tex]
\left| \int_{t_1}^{t_2} f(Re^{it}) iRe^{it}\,dt \right| \leq R\int_{t_1}^{t_2} |f(Re^{it})|\,dt.
[/tex] In this case you end up needing to find an estimate for [itex]\int_0^\pi e^{-R\sin t}\,dt[/itex]. Fortunately the symmetry about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] allows the use of Jordan's Inequality to find an easily integrable [itex]g_R: [0,\pi/2] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]e^{-R\sin t} \leq g_R(t)[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex].

Hmmm, I couldn't go further:

As you've written, it is true that ##|\int_0^{\pi}f(re^{it})rie^{it}dt|\leq r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt##.

The member from the right is ## r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt=r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt##.

Now, we are studying a limit for ##r \to \infty##, so let's analyze this last expression for ##r>1##:

Using the fact that ##\dfrac{1}{r}<1## and that ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq 1## (given ##r>0## and ##t \in [0,\pi]##), we get

##r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt\leq r \int_0^{\pi}1=r\pi##

Now, arriving to that expression doesn't help at all, I would get a sort of opposite conclusion: as ##r \to \infty##,##\space## ##\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz \to \infty##.

What else can I do to get a useful bound for the integral's absolute value?

mahler1 said:
Hmmm, I couldn't go further:

As you've written, it is true that ##|\int_0^{\pi}f(re^{it})rie^{it}dt|\leq r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt##.

The member from the right is ## r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt=r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt##.

This can be further simplified: both [itex]e^{ir\cos t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{it}[/itex] are equal to 1. Thus [tex]
r \int_0^\pi |f(re^{it})|\,dt = \int_0^\pi e^{-r \sin t}\,dt.
[/tex]

Now, we are studying a limit for ##r \to \infty##, so let's analyze this last expression for ##r>1##:

Using the fact that ##\dfrac{1}{r}<1## and that ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq 1## (given ##r>0## and ##t \in [0,\pi]##), we get

You have already demonstrated by using the crude "length of curve times supremum" method that the bound [itex]e^{-r\sin t} \leq 1[/itex] is not good enough to do the job. You need something which actually varies with [itex]r[/itex].

Since [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] is symmetric about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] we have [tex]
\int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r\sin t}\,dt.[/tex] If you could find an easily integrable [itex]g_r[/itex] such that [itex]g_r(t) \geq e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex] and [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt \to 0[/itex] as [itex]r \to \infty[/itex] then it would follow that [tex]
\int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r \sin t}\,dt \leq 2\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt.[/tex] and thus [tex]
0 \leq \lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt \leq 2\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt = 0.[/tex]
Try using Jordan's Inequality as I suggested.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
This can be further simplified: both [itex]e^{ir\cos t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{it}[/itex] are equal to 1. Thus [tex]
r \int_0^\pi |f(re^{it})|\,dt = \int_0^\pi e^{-r \sin t}\,dt.
[/tex]
You have already demonstrated by using the crude "length of curve times supremum" method that the bound [itex]e^{-r\sin t} \leq 1[/itex] is not good enough to do the job. You need something which actually varies with [itex]r[/itex].

Since [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] is symmetric about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] we have [tex]
\int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r\sin t}\,dt.[/tex] If you could find an easily integrable [itex]g_r[/itex] such that [itex]g_r(t) \geq e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex] and [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt \to 0[/itex] as [itex]r \to \infty[/itex] then it would follow that [tex]
\int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r \sin t}\,dt \leq 2\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt.[/tex] and thus [tex]
0 \leq \lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt \leq 2\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt = 0.[/tex]
Try using Jordan's Inequality as I suggested.

Yes, sorry, that suggestion was extremely helpful:

We want to get a bound for
##2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\sin(t)}dt##.

Since ##r\geq 0##, the function ##e^{-rx}## is decreasing for ##x\geq 0##. This means that if ##x_1<x_2 \implies e^{-rx_1}\geq e^{-rx_2}##.

For ##t \in [0,\dfrac{\pi}{2}]##, ##\sin(t)\geq 0##, and using Jordan's inequality, we get ##\dfrac{2}{\pi}t\leq \sin(t)##. But this means ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq e^{-r\dfrac{2}{\pi}t}##.

This last inequality implies ##2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\sin(t)}dt\leq 2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\frac{2}{\pi}t}dt##.

The value of that integral is ##\dfrac{\pi}{r}(1-e^{-r})## and this expression tends to zero when ##r \to \infty##.

Since by a chain of inequalities, we get ##0\leq |\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz|\leq \dfrac{\pi}{r}(1-e^{-r})##, it follows ##\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz \to 0## when ##r \to \infty##.

pasmith, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions you gave me.

1. What is a complex integral limit?

A complex integral limit involves evaluating the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a complex number. This type of limit is important in complex analysis and has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How is a complex integral limit different from a real integral limit?

The main difference between a complex integral limit and a real integral limit is that the former involves a complex-valued function and a complex number as the limit point, while the latter involves a real-valued function and a real number as the limit point. Additionally, the path of integration may also differ between the two types of limits.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem and how is it related to complex integral limits?

The Cauchy integral theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that the value of a complex integral around a closed path is equal to the sum of the residues of the function enclosed by the path. This theorem is closely related to complex integral limits as it provides a powerful tool for evaluating such limits.

4. Can a complex integral limit exist if the function is not continuous?

No, a complex integral limit can only exist if the function is continuous at the limit point. This is because the definition of a limit requires the function to approach a specific value as the independent variable gets closer to the limit point, and this is not possible if the function is not continuous.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating complex integral limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating complex integral limits include using the Cauchy integral theorem, using the definition of a limit, applying L'Hopital's rule, and using power series expansions. These techniques can be used depending on the specific function and limit point involved in the problem.