Using Cauchy's Theorem to Solve the Complex Integral of cos(ax^2)

In summary, to prove the integral of cos(ax2) = (pi/8a)1/2, one can apply Cauchy's theorem by considering the function exp(-az^2) and using the method of residues. The function is analytic within 0 < argz < pi/4 and approaches 0 as |z| approaches infinity. By expanding the function in a Taylor series and using the method of residues, one can express cos(ax2) as 1/2(eiaz^2 + e-iaz^2), which simplifies to 1/2(2) = 1. This can then be expressed as a complex exponential to prove the given integral.
metgt4

Homework Statement

By applying Cauchy's theorem to a suitable contour, prove that the integral of cos(ax2) = (pi/8a)1/2

Homework Equations

Cauchy's integral formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_integral_formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to go after what I've got scanned. I've tried a few other things, but I can't seem to get anywhere that looks like something I could solve.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider the function exp(-a z^2).

What I do know about eiaz^2 is that within 0 < argz < pi/4 it is analytic and
eiaz^2-->0 as |z|-->infinity

Could I expand that in terms of a Taylor series and use the method of residues to solve the integral? Would this be the correct expansion for cos(ax2):

ex = 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3!

Taylor series for x = iaz2 added to the taylor series for x = -iaz2
= 1/2(eiaz^2 + e-iaz^2) = 1/2[(1 + iaz2 - a2z4/2 - a3z6/6 +...) + (1 - iaz + a2z4/2 + a3z6/6 +...) = 1/2(2) = 1?

and then would I express 1 as a complex exponential?

Is that right?

What is a complex integral problem?

A complex integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves the calculation of an integral over a complex domain. It is an extension of the concept of integrals from real numbers to complex numbers, and it is used to solve a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How is a complex integral problem solved?

A complex integral problem is solved using techniques such as contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and residue theorem. These techniques involve transforming the integral into a simpler form that can be calculated using known methods, and then using the properties of complex numbers to arrive at the final solution.

What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to calculate electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, to solve differential equations in quantum mechanics, and to analyze fluid flow in aerodynamics, among others.

Can complex integrals be visualized?

Yes, complex integrals can be visualized using contour plots, which represent the path of integration in the complex plane. These plots help in understanding the behavior of the integral and in determining the appropriate contour to use for solving the problem.

What are the challenges associated with complex integral problems?

Complex integral problems can be challenging due to the non-intuitive nature of complex numbers and the complexity of the techniques used to solve them. It can also be difficult to determine the appropriate contour to use for integration, which requires a good understanding of the problem and the properties of complex numbers.