1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral question

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming a counterclockwise orientation for the unit circle, calculate
    ∫ [itex]\frac{z+i}{z^3+2z^2}[/itex] dz
    |z|=1

2. Relevant equations

f'(a)=[itex]\frac{n!}{2i\pi}[/itex]=∫[itex]\frac{f(z)}{{z-a}^(n+1)}[/itex]
    ???
    3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand these types of questions. What does the |z| have to do with the integral? It's written on the bottom limit of the integral in case that wasn't clear.

From the answers, it writes:
    f(z)=[itex]\frac{z+i}{z+2}[/itex]
    2[itex]\pi[/itex]f'(0)=[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\pi[/itex]i

Edit: Nevermind. I found out how the formula works. I still don't understand what the |z| does. What would happen if it was |z|=10 for example?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

|z|=1 is represents the closed curve (unit circle) around which the contour integration should be performed.

do you know the residue theorem, could be pretty useful here

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    I somewhat understand the residue theorem and how singularities work. I'm not sure how that explains what the circle does. As long as the singularity is located in the circle, then I can do the integral. If I had something like |z-2|=1, then a problem would occur since the singularity is outside the circle. How do I adjust it then?

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

you don't the residue theorem relates the integral around a closed curve to the poles located inside the curve - so you need to find which poles are located with the unit circle

start with finding the poles of the function

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    So if I had something like the expression below, where C is the square with vertices ([itex]\pm2+2i[/itex],[itex]\pm2-2i[/itex])

∫ [itex]\frac{cos(z)}{z(z^2+8)}[/itex] dz
    C

Would I ignore the poles at +/-isqrt(8) and proceed to use the CIF?

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f(0)=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{cos(0)}{(0^2+8)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{i\pi}{4}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. Oct 26, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, you only care about the poles inside the contour.

To answer your question in post 3: If there are no singularities inside the contour, the integral is equal to 0.

8. Oct 26, 2011 #7
    omg I feel so stupid for not seeing something this simple...

Thanks for the help so far. I have one last question. What happens when you have multiple singularities within the contour. For example:

∫ [itex]\frac{sin(z)cos(z)}{((z-\frac{\pi}{4}}[/itex])(z+[itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]) dz
    |z|=[itex]\pi[/itex]

Edit: blah I can't fix the fractions in the integral. The z+pi/4 is on the denominator

Do we treat each one individually and then add them up?

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f([itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex])=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{1}{2*(\pi/2}[/itex])=2i

2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*f([itex]\frac{-\pi}{4}[/itex])=2[itex]\pi[/itex]i*[itex]\frac{-1}{2*(-\pi/2)}[/itex]=2i

2i+2i=4i

9. Oct 26, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's what you do. The integral is equal to [itex]2\pi i\sum~\mathrm{residues}[/itex].

10. Oct 26, 2011 #9
    Awesome. I finally understand this topic! Thanks Vela and Lanedance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook