What is the result of the complex integral with Riemann zeta function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an integral involving the Riemann zeta function. The speaker notes that there will be two singularities at s=0 and s=1 and expects the result to be A+Bx. However, the other speaker points out that the residue theorem cannot be directly applied to an unbounded contour and suggests looking at bounded contours and limits instead. The first speaker then realizes that a sum over the zeros of zeta should not be expected in this calculation.
eljose
let be the integral..where [tex]\zeta(s)[/tex] is the Riemann zeta function.

[tex]\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}ds\zeta(s)(x^{s}/s) [/tex]

then what would be the result?..there would be two singularities at the points s=0 and s=1 the problem is if there would be any other singularitiy on the integral

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a straightforward application of Perron's if c>1 and x>0. You surely know where the poles of zeta are by now, no?

well i see two poles inside the integral..so i would get the result:

[tex] A+Bx [/tex] (poles at s=0 and s=1 with A and B real constants) but it seems a very easy integral, i would expected a sum over the zeros of Riemann Zeta or something similar..uummm..perhaps i have made something wrong.

eljose said:
well i see two poles inside the integral..so i would get the result:

[tex] A+Bx [/tex] (poles at s=0 and s=1 with A and B real constants)

How did you get this? What contour did you try to apply the residue theorem to? If you want to say something about an unbounded contour you can't apply the residue theorem directly, you have to look at bounded contours and look at limits.

eljose said:
i would expected a sum over the zeros of Riemann Zeta or something similar..uummm..perhaps i have made something wrong.

You're seen perron's formula, look at it again closely. There's no way you should expect a sum over the zeros of zeta here.

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of a regular integral to complex numbers. It involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane, and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a complex integral calculated?

A complex integral is calculated using techniques from complex analysis, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and the residue theorem. These involve breaking down the complex function into simpler parts and using algebraic and geometric methods to evaluate the integral.

3. What are some real-world applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in physics, such as calculating the electric field in a circuit or the force on a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and financial mathematics.

4. Can complex integrals have a negative value?

Yes, complex integrals can have negative values just like regular integrals. This can happen when the curve being integrated over crosses the real axis multiple times, resulting in areas of positive and negative values.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex integrals?

One limitation of using complex integrals is that they can only be applied to functions that are analytic on the integration path. This means that the function must have a defined derivative at every point on the path. Additionally, complex integrals can be challenging to calculate for functions with singularities or branch cuts.