Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    let be the integral..where [tex]\zeta(s)[/tex] is the Riemann zeta function.

[tex]\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}ds\zeta(s)(x^{s}/s) [/tex]

then what would be the result?..there would be two singularities at the points s=0 and s=1 the problem is if there would be any other singularitiy on the integral
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a straightforward application of Perron's if c>1 and x>0. You surely know where the poles of zeta are by now, no?
  4. Dec 12, 2005 #3
    well i see two poles inside the integral..so i would get the result:

[tex] A+Bx [/tex] (poles at s=0 and s=1 with A and B real constants) but it seems a very easy integral, i would expected a sum over the zeros of Riemann Zeta or something similar..uummm..perhaps i have made something wrong.
  5. Dec 12, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get this? What contour did you try to apply the residue theorem to? If you want to say something about an unbounded contour you can't apply the residue theorem directly, you have to look at bounded contours and look at limits.

You're seen perron's formula, look at it again closely. There's no way you should expect a sum over the zeros of zeta here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?