1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations

I hope there's someone who can help me with the following:

I have to calculate the integral over C (the unit cicle) of (z+(1/z))^n dz, where z is a complex number.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use the subtitution z=e^(i*theta), so you get
    (z+(1/z))^n dz=(2*i*Sin(theta))^n * i*e^(i*theta) dtheta
    but then I get stuck.
    Is this the right way, and if, how do I proceed. And if it isn't, how should I do it???

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

i suppose you integral looks like:
    [tex]\int_{|z|=1} (z+1/z)^n dz = i \int_0^{2\pi} (e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})^n e^{i\theta} d\theta[/tex]

now did what you did then also try to expand the remaining [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta +i \sin \theta[/tex], and now you end up with two integrals with just cos and sin.... you can then do the integral for two cases n odd and n even... etc...

4. Feb 7, 2007 #3
    Ok, but then you get:

(2*cos(theta))^n *e^(i*theta)

but I don't know how to get rid of the n...

(Don't know to use latex...)

5. Feb 7, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

i said to use [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta +i \sin \theta[/tex] to expand the second exponential.. and then multiply out to get something like
    [tex]\cos^{n+1} \theta + \cos^n \theta \sin \theta[/tex] and now you can try integrate these assuming that n is an integer. I am guessing that there will be two cases: n odd an n even

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?