1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Integral

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\ln{(a+ix)}}{x^2+1}dx[/tex]

I tried with integration by parts but go nowhere. I think it may require a branch cut and integrating along a contour.

How would you approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    It's been a long time since I took a course on complex variables so my memory is hazy. Anyway, I recall it being helpful to find the Maclaurin Series.

4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    I believe this does require integration along a contour. I think it goes something like this:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\ln{(a+ix)}}{x^2+1}dx = \int_{\gamma + \sigma} \frac{\ln{(a+ix)}}{x^2+1}dx + \int_{-\sigma}\frac{\ln{(a+ix)}}{x^2+1}dx[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the contour from -R to R along the real axis and [itex]\sigma(t) = Re^{it}[/itex], [itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi[/itex]. Then you evaluate the first integral with Cauchy's formula and take the limit as R goes to infinity. The second integral should go to zero, and there's your answer. Of course, it has been a long while since I've done this so I could be wrong.

5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The series for the natural log is only equal to the function itself if |z|< 1, which it is not throughout the domain of integration.

6. Feb 25, 2008 #5
    Break the integral to two ones one from [itex](-\infty,0),(0,+\infty)[/itex], transform the first to [itex](0,\infty)[/itex] and combine them to get
    [tex]I=\int_0^\infty\frac{\ln(x^2+a^2)}{x^2+1}[/tex]
    Use a semi-circle to include the residue [itex]i[/itex] in order to find [itex]I=2\,\pi\ln(a+1)[/itex].

7. Feb 26, 2008 #6
    Somebody point me to a site that explains contour integration since I am unfamiliar with it.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?