1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Integral

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that f(z) is analytic and that f'(z) is continuous in a region that contains a closed curve [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Show that
    [tex] \int_\gamma \overline{f(z)} f'(z) dz[/tex]

is purely imaginary.

2. Relevant equations

If f(z) is holomorphic on the region containing a closed curve [tex]\gamma[/tex] or if f(z) has a primitive (we have not yet established a relationship between these two properties), then

[tex]\int_\gamma f(z)dz = 0.[/tex]

And while we did not prove that analytic functions are holomorphic, that's not hard to verify if necessary.

3. The attempt at a solution

If we let [tex]f(z) = u(z) + i v(z)[/tex], where u and v are functions from the complex plane to the real line, then

[tex]\int_\gamma \overline{f(z)} f'(z) dz = \int f(z) f'(z) dz - 2 i \int v(z) f'(z) dz = 0 - 2 i \int_\gamma v(z) f'(z)dz[/tex]

So I have to verify that the latter integral is real valued, and this is where I am stuck. I could parametrize [tex]z = \gamma(t)[/tex] where [tex]t \in [0,1][/tex] but I am not sure that helps me in any way.

[tex]- 2 i \int_\gamma v(z) f'(z)dz = -2 i \int_0^1 v(\gamma(t)) f'(\gamma(t)) \gamma'(t) dt = 2 i \int_0^1 v'(\gamma(t))f'(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t) \gamma'(t) dt[/tex]

(The last step comes from integration by parts, with one term = 0 because gamma is a closed curve.)

Is there any reason to believe that this last integral is real-valued?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you did here.

If [itex]f(z) = u(z) + iv(z)[/itex], then [tex]\overline{f(z)} = u(z) - i v(z)[/tex] and [itex]f'(z) = u'(z) + i v'(z)[/tex], so

[tex]\begin{align*}\int_{\gamma} \overline{f(z)} f'(z) dz &= \int_{\gamma} (u(z) - i v(z)) (u'(z) + i v'(z)) dz \\
    &= \int_{\gamma} (u(z) u'(z) + v(z) v'(z)) dz +i \int_{\gamma} (u(z) v'(z) - v(z) u'(z)) dz \end{align*}[/tex]

All of [itex]u(z)[/itex], [itex]u'(z)[/itex], [itex]v(z)[/itex], and [itex]v'(z)[/itex] are real, so if you can show that the first integral is zero then you're done.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3

But [tex]dz[/tex] is not real. Does that mess with the value of the last integral?

Thanks for your thoughts!

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be having a hard time finding a good expression for f'(z)*dz. You can do it several ways. (df/dz)*dz=df. If f(z)=u(z)+iv(z) and z=x+iy, that makes it (u+iv)_x*dx+(u+iv)_y*dy. (Underscores are partial derivatives). Or you could use f'(z)=(u+iv)_x or f'(z)=(1/i)*(u+iv)_y and dz=dx+idy. You can show they are all equal with Cauchy-Riemann. Now just collect the real and imaginary parts and figure out whether they are exact differentials. Take it from there.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook