Complex Integrals: Evaluating \int_{-1}^1 \frac{(1-x^2)^{1/2}}{x^2+1}dx

In summary, In the Complex Methods lecture, the lecturer discussed the integral \int_{-1}^1 \frac{(1-x^2)^{1/2}}{x^2+1}dx and used the complex function \frac{(z^2-1)^{1/2}}{z^2+1} for the contour calculation. There was a concern about the answer possibly having a factor of i due to (1-z^2)^{1/2}=i(z^2-1)^{1/2}, but the lecturer stated that it didn't matter. This may be because in the end, only the real solution is of interest. However, the real part of (z^2-
Tangent87
In our Complex Methods lecture today, our lecturer went through the example of evaluating the integral [tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{(1-x^2)^{1/2}}{x^2+1}dx[/tex] and then proceeded to do the whole contour calculation using the complex function [tex]\frac{(z^2-1)^{1/2}}{z^2+1}[/tex]. I'm concerned that the answer will be a factor of i out because [tex](1-z^2)^{1/2}=i(z^2-1)^{1/2} [/tex] but he said in the lecture it didn't matter, can anyone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe because in the end you are only interested in real solution (part)?

Just guessing here...

dingo_d said:
Maybe because in the end you are only interested in real solution (part)?

Just guessing here...

You're probably on the right lines but the real part of [tex](z^2-1)^{1/2}[/tex] is def not [tex](1-x^2)^{1/2}[/tex] because at the very least there'll be loads of y's involved as well since z=x+iy?

Oh, I was thinking that at the end of the integration you get something real and sth imaginary and then you take the real part...

Don't take that as a concrete answer, I too don't see how that wouldn't matter at first...

Because it really is not the same integral (by that factor).

Altho the residues do seem to cancel each other, so maybe there's the catch :\

As a scientist, it is important to understand the reasoning behind mathematical calculations and how they relate to real-world applications. In this case, the complex integral \int_{-1}^1 \frac{(1-x^2)^{1/2}}{x^2+1}dx is being evaluated using the complex function \frac{(z^2-1)^{1/2}}{z^2+1}. This is a common technique in complex analysis, where it is often easier to work with complex functions rather than real-valued functions.

One concern raised in the lecture was that the solution may include a factor of i because (1-z^2)^{1/2}=i(z^2-1)^{1/2}. However, in this case, it does not matter because the integral is being evaluated along a real interval, from -1 to 1. This means that z is restricted to real numbers, and therefore the imaginary component of (z^2-1)^{1/2} will be zero. This results in the same answer as if we had used the real-valued function (1-x^2)^{1/2}.

In complex analysis, it is common to use complex functions to simplify calculations and solve problems. As long as the integral is being evaluated along a real interval, the use of complex functions will not affect the final result. It is important to note, however, that when evaluating integrals along complex contours or in other complex scenarios, the use of complex functions may result in different solutions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the context and restrictions of the problem when choosing whether to use real or complex functions.

1. What is the definition of a complex integral?

A complex integral is a type of integral that involves integrands (functions being integrated) and integration limits that are complex numbers. It extends the concept of integration from real numbers to complex numbers, allowing for the evaluation of integrals over complex domains.

2. How is a complex integral evaluated?

In order to evaluate a complex integral, it is first converted into a real integral by breaking it into its real and imaginary parts. The resulting real integral is then evaluated using standard techniques, such as the substitution or integration by parts methods. The complex integral can then be found by combining the evaluated real and imaginary parts.

3. What is the significance of the integration limits in a complex integral?

The integration limits in a complex integral represent the path along which the integral is evaluated. This path can be any curve in the complex plane, as long as it connects the initial and final points of the integration limits. The choice of integration path can greatly affect the value of the complex integral.

4. How are complex integrals used in science?

Complex integrals are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving complex-valued functions, such as those found in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They also have applications in areas such as fluid dynamics and control theory.

5. What is the specific approach for evaluating the complex integral \int_{-1}^1 \frac{(1-x^2)^{1/2}}{x^2+1}dx?

The specific approach for evaluating this complex integral involves converting it into a real integral by using the substitution u = x^2+1. This results in the integral \int_{0}^2 \frac{\sqrt{u-1}}{u}du. This real integral can then be evaluated using standard techniques, such as integration by parts or the substitution method, to yield the final result.