Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    I read in some text or book that the integral

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \cos(x^2) + \sin(x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x = \sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

I was wondering how this is possible. I read on this site that one such possible way was to start by integrating

[tex] e^{-i x^2} = \cos(x^2) - i \cos(x^2)[/tex]

My knowledge about complex analysis is rather limited. Could anyone expain to me how the integral at the top is evaluated? (I know one could start of by noticing the symmetry about the y-axis. )

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139465

Agomez, shows one way to do it. But it is not exactly the same as the integral above. Sigh, I feel stupid for not seeing this one...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because cos(x^2)+sin(x^2) is an even function, we have
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \cos(x^2)+\sin(x^2)\, dx = 2 \int_0^\infty \cos(x^2)+\sin(x^2) \,dx.[/tex]
    Now use the results from agomez's calculations.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    My main problem is that

$$ e^{-ix^2} = \cos(x^2) - i \sin(x^2) $$

Whilst this integral is [itex] \cos(x^2) + \sin(x^2) [/itex]. Does the minus sign change anything?

5. Jan 28, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It changes nothing. All I'm saying is that you can use agomez's evaluation of [itex]\int_0^\infty \cos(x^2)\, dx[/itex] and [itex]\int_0^\infty \sin(x^2)\, dx[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook