1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an integral of the form:

0exp(ax+ibx)/x dx
    What is the general method for solving an integral of this kind.

2. Relevant equations
    Maybe residual calculus?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2
    Residues sound like the only way. However, make sure you are using ##e^{-z}/z##; with a positive exponent your integral will not converge.

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how it's going to converge no matter what a is. It's also divergent near x=0.

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4
    So true. Wish I had read the lower limit as 0 instead of 1. Can I blame it on bad eyesight?

6. Nov 22, 2013 #5
    I need it to converge badly. But I know what mistake I made. I wanted the integral to be the imaginary part of the above. At least I think so. I have attached the whole exercise now as pdf. Is it correct what I have done so far and how do I evaluate the integral?

Attached Files:

• FT.pdf
      FT.pdf
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. Nov 22, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It all looks incorrect. You wanted to integrate something like ##\exp(-cr)/r \, \exp(ikr\ cos(\theta))## over ##R^3## in spherical corrdinates. The volume element in spherical coordinates is not ##dr \, d\theta \, d\phi##; it is ##r^2 \sin(\theta)\, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi##.

8. Nov 23, 2013 #7
    Right, I wrote that in a rush I can see. So basically I forgot the sin(theta) in the first line but it should be there or I couldnt make the substitution dcos(theta). Also the r^2 should be there and 1/r I forgot too so I would end up with having to integrate the imaginary part of r times the expression on the last line. But still with that, I don't see how I can solve that integral.

9. Nov 23, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your final integral is "elementary" and is the type of thing you learned to do in Calculus 101. Look at it again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted