1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex integrals - help please!

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    Hello all. I've been browsing your forums for similar problems that might help me with these two integrals, but alas i am still stumped. please help me understand and solve these integrals! also please forgive my notation; the Latex controls aren't working for me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the contour integral:

c.int(z_bar*(abs(z))^2)dz over the contour C which encloses the domain

abs(x^2-y^2) <=1 , 1<=xy<=2 , x>0. oriented in the clockwise direction.

z = x + iy. Hint: use the change of variable w=z^2

(here, z_bar is the complex conjugate of z, abs(z)^2 is (modulus of z)^2, and <= is less than or equal to.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think i understand the domain; it's in the first quadrant, each side part of a hyperbola, corners at (x,y) ~ (1.25,1.6), (1.6,1.25), (1.272,0.786), (0.786,1.272). so, f(z) here is not analytic, because the Cauchy-Riemann conditions aren't satisfied, right? Beyond this, i'm not sure how to start evaluating the integral; i really don't understand the hint in the first place. ie - if w=z^2, how do i express z_bar and (abs(z))^2? and then what good does this do me on the contour?

Second:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral

c.int(g(z)*exp(z)/(sin(z))dz , where g(z) = (z+4)/(z-4)

over the counter-clockwise rectangle C with corners at -2-i, -2+i, 2+i, 2-i.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so this one isn't analytic inside the rectangle, right? because the domain includes z=0. so how do i even start?!

i've been staring at these equations and books for hours, so any help is much appreciated! i guess i might also mention that we haven't covered residues yet. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    1.differentiate w and transform variables...?
    2.evaluate the residue...?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook