1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Integration Problem

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to evaluate the following integral using the antiderivative:
    $$\int log^2(z) \, dz$$
    I don't know how to make a subscript for the integral sign, there should be a "c" on the bottom part. C is any contour from ##π## to ##i##, not crossing the non-positive x-axis.
    2. Relevant equations
    Given above

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I can think of is to do a substitution, such as u=logz, like in the real case but I haven't officially learned if that's possible so I don't know if I can do it, nor if I even have to. And it specifically says to use the antiderivative so I can't parameterize.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you try integration by parts?

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3
    Integration by parts...
    u = (log(x))^2
    dv = 1dx

5. Mar 18, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If I understand that post correctly, that will make it worse. There is a better choice of the two parts.

6. Mar 18, 2017 #5
    well, i don't want to post the solution but if you use u = log^2(x) than it will reduce the power on the log by 1 and leave you with an easier problem to integrate :)

7. Mar 18, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It works out fine with u=ln(z) and v'=ln(z), but you are right that your way is easier.

8. Mar 18, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Oh wait, for post 4 I was imagining logs in the denominator for some reason.
    Ignore post 4, both approaches work and the one from sunnnystrong is easier.

9. Mar 18, 2017 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just put a '_C' next to your int instruction, to get ##\int_C \log^2 (z) \, dz##. Right-click on the formula and ask for a display of math as tex commands, to see how it is done.

As for using antiderivatives: see, eg.,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiderivative_(complex_analysis).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted