Validating Complex Integration Using Polar Form and the Unit Circle

In summary, to find the value of the integral \int_{-1}^{1}z^{\frac{1}{2}}dz, it is necessary to change to polar form using the fact that z=e^{i\theta} for a unit circle radius 1. The correct integration variable is theta, and the limits should be 0 and pi instead of 1 and -1. After changing the limits and replacing z and dz, the integral can be evaluated to be (2/3)(1+i). However, it is important to consider branch cuts in this problem.
futurebird
I've been asked to find the value of:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}z^{\frac{1}{2}}dz[/tex]

Here is how I did it:

I want to change to polar form. To do that I'll use the fact that:

[tex]z=e^{i\theta}[/tex] For a unit circle radius 1.
[tex]dz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

I replace z and dz:

[tex]= \int_{-1}^{1}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{-1}^{1}ie^{\frac{i\theta}{2}}e^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{-1}^{1}ie^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}\int_{-1}^{1}\frac{3i}{2}e^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}(e^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}})^{-1}_{1}[/tex]

[tex]= (\frac{2}{3})(e^{\frac{3i}{2}}-e^{\frac{-3i}{2}})[/tex]

Did I do this correctly? How can I check my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely not right. You changed the integration variable from z to theta, but then you plugged the z limits into theta. That's definitely wrong. You also have to be careful about how you define z^(1/2). You know about branch cuts, right?

Dick said:
Definitely not right. You changed the integration variable from z to theta, but then you plugged the z limits into theta. That's definitely wrong. You also have to be careful about how you define z^(1/2). You know about branch cuts, right?

Okay thanks. I know a *little* about branch cuts. I think that I need one on the -y axis since I want to trace a circut from theta= 0 to pi. (but not go through the origin.)

But, how do I change the -1 and 1? I see why what I did was wrong. I didn't change the interval... But, I can't quite see how to change it.

If z = 1 and z = Exp(i theta)...

If you know the limits on theta are 0 and pi, those are the limits you should put into your antiderivative, not 1 and -1. Those are the z limits.

Hurkyl said:
If z = 1 and z = Exp(i theta)...

okay

z=1
z = Exp(i theta)

Then theta = 2pi

z=-1
z = Exp(i theta)

then theta = 1 NO!

then theta = pi !

I don't see how this helps. I think the values of a and b should be 0 and pi, but I don't know WHY.

I also don't know how to relate the branch cut -pi/4 <= theta < 3pi/4 to all of this.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you know the limits on theta are 0 and pi, those are the limits you should put into your antiderivative, not 1 and -1. Those are the z limits.

This makes sense to me, but I don't know if I'll know what to do on the next problem, becuse it might not be that easy to see. Is it because I'm changing 1 and -1 from rectangular to polar? And I can just ignore r because it is a constant?

Last edited:
Okay let me try this again. I feel like I'm going to cry this stuff is so confusing.
grrr.. Okay

[tex]z=e^{i\theta}[/tex] For a unit circle radius 1.
[tex]dz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]
1 becomes 0 and -1 becomes [tex]\pi[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex].

I replace z and dz AND I also replace a and b:

[tex]= \int_{0}^{\pi}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0}^{\pi}ie^{\frac{i\theta}{2}}e^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0}^{\pi}ie^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{3i}{2}e^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}(e^{\frac{3i\theta}{2}})^{\pi}_{o}[/tex]

[tex]= (\frac{2}{3})(e^{\frac{3i\pi}{2}}-e^{0})[/tex]

[tex]= (\frac{2}{3})(-i-1)[/tex]

[tex]= (\frac{-2i-2}{3})[/tex]
Did I do this correctly? How can I check my work?

Last edited:
It's because you are changing variables, period. If I want to integrate f(x^2) from 1 to 2 and I change variables using u=x^2 and I get an antiderivative of g(u), I evaluate that from u=1 to 4. Not 1 to 2.

I don't want to make you cry, but your integration variables are backwards. I would evaluate it from pi to 0, not 0 to pi. I get (2/3)(1+i). The only way to check that I can think of is to evaluate along another path from -1 to 1 that avoids your branch cut. Wherever it is.

Dick said:
It's because you are changing variables, period. If I want to integrate f(x^2) from 1 to 2 and I change variables using u=x^2 and I get an antiderivative of g(u), I evaluate that from u=1 to 4. Not 1 to 2.

That makes sense 1^2 = 1 and 2^2=4 and you have u=x^2.

I'm having a hard time seeing what u is in my problem. Well, I guess it would be theta since it's (d theta) that I'm working with... so theta = "a function of z"

z = x + iy

theta = arctan y/x

Is that it? arctan 0 ? that makes no sense...

Last edited:
Dick said:
I don't want to make you cry, but your integration variables are backwards. I would evaluate it from pi to 0, not 0 to pi. I get (2/3)(1+i). The only way to check that I can think of is to evaluate along another path from -1 to 1 that avoids your branch cut. Wherever it is.

No I'm not going to cry you've been a BIG help! Okay, I mixed up the -1 and the 1. But when I make that change it should change the sign.

I have 3 more of these to do. Maybe I should go practice some calc 3 change of variable problems before I attempt them. Is that what it's called "change of variables" ? It's been 8 years since I had calc and I'm really rusty.

You said, "I want to trace a circut from theta= 0 to pi". When did you decide that made no sense?

futurebird said:
No I'm not going to cry you've been a BIG help! Okay, I mixed up the -1 and the 1. But when I make that change it should change the sign.

I have 3 more of these to do. Maybe I should go practice some calc 3 change of variable problems before I attempt them. Is that what it's called "change of variables" ? It's been 8 years since I had calc and I'm really rusty.

Practice is never bad. But I think you know the what the problem is. If you decide to use theta as a variable instead of z, you should use theta limits instead of z limits. That's not rocket science. I'd worry more about branch cut issues.

Dick said:
You said, "I want to trace a circut from theta= 0 to pi". When did you decide that made no sense?

It made sense but only becuase I drew a little sketch.

But I found another error that I made and I think I see how to change a and b in general...

It's this:

z=1
z = Exp(i theta)

Then theta = 2pi

z=-1
z = Exp(i theta)

then theta = 1 NO!

then theta = pi !

Sketches also help. Now start drawing branch cuts. They are pretty important with functions like z^(1/2).

One problem I see right from the start is that you do not specify any path for the integral. If z is a complex variable then there are an infinite number of paths you could use to go from -1 to 1. Taking [itex]z= e^{i\theta}[/itex] with [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] is choosing the upper unit semi-circle. Seeing only "-1 to 1" my first thought would have been to use the x-axis as path. Are those two integrals the same?

HallsofIvy said:
One problem I see right from the start is that you do not specify any path for the integral. If z is a complex variable then there are an infinite number of paths you could use to go from -1 to 1. Taking [itex]z= e^{i\theta}[/itex] with [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] is choosing the upper unit semi-circle. Seeing only "-1 to 1" my first thought would have been to use the x-axis as path. Are those two integrals the same?

I don't think you can go through the origin. It's a branch point. That means you can't take that path or integral. (Right?)

I'm still fuzzy on how to use the branch cut. I know it needs to go from the origin to [tex]z_{\infty}[/tex], and if I think of the stereographic projection that means that any line from the origin off in some direction will do. So, I'll make it go down along the -y axis... so it won't hit my line integral in the upper half plane. You can't take the intergral and go through a branch cut.

What impact does this choice have on my answer? Or is the branch cut only important for cases like:

[tex]\int_{C}^{}\frac{dz}{z}[/tex] on a closed circuit called "C" around the origin, where if you ignore the branch cut you might think the value is 0 (and this is not correct.)

You CAN go through the origin, if you are careful, you just don't want to go through the negative y axis. The values of the function from 0 to 1 are just x^(1/2) and the values from -1 to 0 are i*|x|^(1/2). So you can see that the absolute values you are integrating are the same over both intervals and the absolute value of each integral is 2/3. So the [-1,0] gives i*2/3 and [0,1] gives 2/3. Total (2/3)*(1+i).

Dick said:
You CAN go through the origin, if you are careful, you just don't want to go through the negative y axis. The values of the function from 0 to 1 are just x^(1/2) and the values from -1 to 0 are i*|x|^(1/2). So you can see that the absolute values you are integrating are the same over both intervals and the absolute value of each integral is 2/3. So the [-1,0] gives i*2/3 and [0,1] gives 2/3. Total (2/3)*(1+i).

Wow. I didn't know that. Thank you so much for you help!

What is complex integration z^0.5?

Complex integration z^0.5 refers to the process of integrating a complex function raised to the power of 0.5 (also known as the square root) over a given path in the complex plane.

Why is complex integration z^0.5 important?

Complex integration z^0.5 is important because it allows us to solve complex problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering that cannot be solved using traditional integration methods. It also has applications in fields such as signal processing, control theory, and fluid mechanics.

What are the challenges of complex integration z^0.5?

One of the main challenges of complex integration z^0.5 is determining the appropriate path of integration in the complex plane. This requires a deep understanding of the underlying function and its behavior. Additionally, the presence of branch cuts and singularities can also complicate the integration process.

What techniques are used for complex integration z^0.5?

There are several techniques that can be used for complex integration z^0.5, including the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve breaking down the complex function into simpler parts and using mathematical tools to evaluate the integral.

What are the applications of complex integration z^0.5?

Complex integration z^0.5 has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to complex numbers, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. It also has practical applications in fields such as image processing, control systems, and fluid dynamics.