Integral of g(z) around |z-i|=2: Cauchy Integral Formula

In summary, the Cauchy Integral Formula states that the integral of a function g(z) around a circle with center at z=i and radius 2 is equal to 2πi multiplied by the sum of the residues of the function within the circle. This formula is useful in evaluating complex integrals and can be extended to other shapes and contours.
doubleaxel195

Homework Statement

Find the value of the integral of g(z) around the circle |z-i|=2 in the positive sense when [tex]g(z)=\frac{1}{z^2+4}[/tex]. Answer: pi\2

Homework Equations

Cauchy Integral Formula
[tex]f(z_0)=\frac{1}{2\Pi i}\int \frac{f(z) dz}{z-z_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried factoring the denominator by (z-2i)(z+2i), but then f is not analytic when z=+/-2i. So I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not even sure if the Cauchy Integral formula is the right way to go since it evaluates a function at a specific point, not the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know residu? or (parametrization) integration and invariance theorem?

Last edited:
No, I don't. Well, I know how to parametrize and integrate with respect to a real variable. The section before this homework had to do with deformation of path. The section this homework came from deals with Cauchy's Integral formula, Cauchy's Inequality, and a consequence of Cauchy's Integral formula:

[tex]\int \frac{f(z)dz}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}=\frac{2\Pi i}{n!} f^{(n)}(z_0)[/tex]

But each theorem requires the function to be analytic on and within the contour, but it's not analytic on the circle.

I don't remember cauchy, but

[tex]
g(z)=\frac{1}{z^2+4} = \frac{1}{(z+2i)(z-2i)} = \frac{A}{z+2i} + \frac{B}{z-2i}
[/tex]
where B = -i/4
The first integral has no singularities inside the circle so its integral is zero.

The second part. Move the circle so that it has center in 2i. Now parametrizate z = 2i + 2e^it

[tex] \int \frac{B}{z-2i}dz = \int_0^{2\p}i \frac{B}{2e^{it}} 2ie^{it} dt = \int_0^{2\pi} Bidt = 2\pi B i = \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
edit: I used wrong A and B
A =
B = 1/4i = -i/4

Last edited:
As I see it, you have to solve the closed loop integral of 1/(z2+4) using the Cauchy Integral Formula (:=CIF).

This is what you need to understand about the CIF:
f(z): has to be analytic inside the closed loop of integration (i.e. to have no singularities inside the loop of integration).
z0: is a single singular point (obviously).

Now, using the constraints above you have to take your function g(z) and basically divide it into a f(z) and a 1/z-z0 part.
Then to get the value of the integral, as the CIF says, you just plug in z0 inside the f(z) function you constructed before (don't forget to multiply by 2*pi*i).
** remember that in complex integration only singular points inside the loop of integration contribute.

is that clear? :)

@MaxManus:
The way you solved it is correct, but you made an error in calculating A and B. They should be A = i/4; B = -i/4.
You can check it by plugging in the numbers and verifying you get the original expression back.

I just realized I kept thinking that +/- 2i was on the circle for some reason but it's not! (wow!) I got it now. Thank you for all your help though. But, gomunkul51, are you sure the CIF works for functions which are not analytic on the curve itself? I thought that the hypothesis was that a function must be analytic within and on a curve?

doubleaxel195 said:
gomunkul51, are you sure the CIF works for functions which are not analytic on the curve itself? I thought that the hypothesis was that a function must be analytic within and on a curve?

Your specific problem didn't have singularities on the curve, so it didn't matter. When I repeatedly wrote "inside" I meant that you should not take into account other singularities which lay outside the loop. I didn't trying to deal with singularities on the loop.

To the point: I'm not sure whether the function should be analytic on the loop as well. This is a question for your teacher/textbook/google :)

how to do make thread on this site

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that calculates the value of a function at a point inside a closed curve using the values of the function on the curve itself. It is a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula applied to the integral of g(z) around |z-i|=2?

In this case, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be used to calculate the value of the integral by evaluating the function g(z) at any point inside the circle |z-i|=2, and then multiplying it by 2πi. This is because the function g(z) is holomorphic (analytic) inside the circle, so the integral can be expressed as a line integral around the circle.

3. What is meant by "integral of g(z) around |z-i|=2"?

This refers to the line integral of the function g(z) along the closed curve defined by the circle |z-i|=2. It is written mathematically as ∫|z-i|=2 g(z) dz.

4. What is the significance of the curve being closed in the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is only valid for closed curves, as the values of the function on the curve are used to calculate the value at a point inside the curve. If the curve was not closed, there would be no clear way to determine the value of the function at a point inside the curve.

5. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula be applied to other types of curves?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be applied to any closed curve as long as the function is holomorphic inside the curve. It is commonly used to evaluate integrals around circles, but can also be applied to other shapes such as ellipses, rectangles, or any closed curve defined by a polynomial equation.