Why Do Complex Ions with the Same Number of Ligands Form Different Shapes?

In summary, the difference in shapes of complex ions with the same number of ligands is due to the valence electron configuration and the optimization of electron-electron repulsion energy. Tetrahedral shapes are favored for most transition metal complexes with a coordination number of 4, but those with a d8 configuration may form square planar shapes to lower their energy. This can be explained using valence bond theory and the hybridization of orbitals.
joeyjo100
I'm currently trying to cram knowledge of the transition metals into my head for a chemistry final exam, although i have come across a stumbling block when reading about the 3 dimensional shapes that complex ions form.

My textbooks say that complex ion with 4 coordination bonds will form a tetrahedral shape, such as [Cu(Cl)4]2+.

But then it says that some complex ions with coordination numbers of four can form square planar shapes, such as [NiCl2(NH3)2].

What causes these two complex ions with the same number of ligands to have different shapes? Has it got something to do with the shape or charge of the ligands?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
joeyjo100 said:
I'm currently trying to cram knowledge of the transition metals into my head for a chemistry final exam, although i have come across a stumbling block when reading about the 3 dimensional shapes that complex ions form.

My textbooks say that complex ion with 4 coordination bonds will form a tetrahedral shape, such as [Cu(Cl)4]2+.

But then it says that some complex ions with coordination numbers of four can form square planar shapes, such as [NiCl2(NH3)2].

What causes these two complex ions with the same number of ligands to have different shapes? Has it got something to do with the shape or charge of the ligands?

Most transition metal complexes with a coordination number of 4 favor tetrahedral geometries. The exception is for ions with a d8 configuration of their valence electrons. This is because the complex can lower its energy in this geometry (obviously). IIRC, you can explain this in terms of valence bond theory, by hybridizing the empty s, px, py, and dx2-y2 orbitals to make 4 empty sp2d hybrid orbitals in a square planar configuration to accept the ligand electron pairs. The occupied d-orbitals are then the dz2, dxy,dxz, and dyz orbitals. If you are good at visualizing orbitals, you will see that the lobes of those orbitals holding the 8 valence electrons of the metal ion are more or less optimally oriented to point between the lobes of the empty sp2d hybrids that are acting as lone pair acceptors, which minimizes the overall electron-electron repulsion energy in the complex.

What are complex ions?

Complex ions are molecules that contain a central metal ion surrounded by ligands (atoms or molecules) that are bonded to the metal ion. These ligands may have one or more electron pairs that are donated to the metal ion, forming a coordinate covalent bond.

What determines the shape of a complex ion?

The shape of a complex ion is determined by the number and arrangement of the ligands around the central metal ion. The ligands can be arranged in different ways, such as linear, tetrahedral, square planar, or octahedral, depending on the number of ligands and their spatial orientation.

How do you name complex ions?

Complex ions are named by listing the ligands first, followed by the central metal ion and its oxidation state in Roman numerals. If there are multiple ligands of the same type, the prefix "bis-", "tris-", etc. is used to indicate the number of ligands. For example, [Co(NH3)6]3+ would be named hexaamminecobalt(III).

What is the difference between a coordination compound and a complex ion?

A coordination compound is a molecule that contains one or more complex ions, along with any counter ions needed to balance the charge. Complex ions are the central metal-containing units within coordination compounds.

How are complex ions useful in real life?

Complex ions have many practical applications, such as in medicine, agriculture, and industry. Some examples include using platinum-based complex ions in chemotherapy drugs, using iron-based complex ions as fertilizers, and using nickel-based complex ions in the production of stainless steel. They also play a crucial role in catalysis and in the purification of metals.